New test kits - new questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
In prep for planting my tank I bought the AP GH/KH tests as well as the Seachem Phosphate test.

Now that I have the results I need help understanding what they mean :oops:

KH = 9 degrees = 161.1 ppm
GH = 14 degrees ( !!) = 250.6 ppm
Phosphate = 1.5 = 0.5 ppm Phosporus

So, from what I understand, I have hard water (which I already knew) and the high KH protects me from pH swings (albeit, a high pH of 8.2). The high GH means that I have alot of calcium and/or magnesium in my water. The phosporus reading of 0.5ppm is good since levels below 1.0ppm can help control algae (the 0.5 ppm was obtaining by dividing the phosphate reading of 1.5 by 3).

So now the questions:
1. My water is more suited to certain cichlids, but how "bad" is it for my tropical community.
2. Are any of these readings bad for a planted tank ?? (low lights - 1.5wpg).
3. Anything else I can learn from these test results ?

Thanks in advance

1. Your water isn't bad for tropicals. They will adapt just fine to the harder water as long as you aren't changing the ph. Also, a nice piece of driftwood can help lower the ph slightly as well, naturally, if you don't already have one in there.

2. All readings are good. As for the phosphates, after adding the plants, you might need to suppliment a little more. Just keep track of the levels to see what you will need.

3. Not much else, other than if you ever decided to inject CO2, you can see the kh reading, along with ph, to get your CO2 levels.

Thanks LoneWolfBlue - I knew you'd answer LOL.

I might try a piece of driftwood at some point. But I want to wait until after the plants are in to see what space / aquascape I end up with first.

Since my nitrates are always so low (highest was 10ppm) I figured I'd have to add some nitrogen anyway, so I've already armed myself with some Flourish, which also has phosphates

Its nice to know these readings; another piece of knowledge. To think I didn't want to try saltwater because I was afraid of the chemisty ! Who knows - someday I might actually do it ! I DO have those 2 20Gs sitting there waiting for some life ! LOL - I could probably do a nice damsel setup in one of them ....... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :idea:

Most tropicals will do fine in your water. If you buy them locally, they are already acclimated to it. You may find it a challenge to get some species to spawn, but otherwise, you should be OK.

Keep an eye on the phosphate and nitrate readings if you have a planted tank. The ratio should be 1 PO4 to at least 10 NO3. If your phosphates rise and your nitrates fall at the same time, you will get green water. I found this out the hard way!

Well, my nitrates are always very low - the highest they've been is 10 (and my tap water has a reading of 5ppm). Should I skip my next water change (last one before I plant) to get it up a bit higher ? I certainly don't want green water esp with the diatom explosion I've got going - that would just be too much of the wrong type of "colorful" for a peaceful tropical community tank !

Back
Top Bottom