new tetras ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
new tetras
I had an impulse buy today, which i don't usually do but I picked up 6 of these, they were labled as splash tetras. I was wondering if anyone has had any of these before or if you new of another name they went by. I know these pics aren't the best but maybe they will work.
Sorry for the repost I was just not getting any responses from my previous post above.
Attached Thumbnails

Congrats on the new sparkling gouramis! ;)

The bad news is that your LFS employee is in need of some training.

The good news is that these peaceful little fish can be housed together with minimal aggression, and they stay small- about 1.25-1.5 inch.

What is your plan for the little guys? If your stock list for your 100 gallon is up to date, I would seriously worry that the gouramis may be bullied by your other fish, or at the very least may be easily outcompeted for food.

Thanks Severum mama, I was kind of thinking the same thing, My stock list is as of right now
6 neons
4 rummy nose
5 red sarpea
4 clown loaches
1 k. loach
3 lg flying foxes
1 blood fin tetra
2 op. pearl gouramies
1 clown pleco
1 BN pleco
5 red and blue colubian tetras
6 prestella(sp) tetras
6 von rio tetras
2 hatchet fish
8 amono shrimp
and lots of plants

What do you think?

Yes, they are very beautiful! We keep them here (yes, they are for sale lol) with ember tetras and they do really well. Embers are shy fish by nature and won't bully or nip at the gouramis.

It isn't just the pearl gouramis that I would worry about with bullying and food competition. Serpaes and flying fox are often fin nippers and may damage the sparklers. Red and blue colombian tetras are the craziest, most active tetras I have ever kept and may stress them or outcompete them for food. They also get much larger than the sparklers.

I had a group of 6 that were so active by the time they reached adult size that they were stressing out a pair of Rotkeil severums that were each 7-8 inches at the time. It got so bad that the severums were refusing to come out and eat. I rehomed the Colombians and the severums started eating again and spawned within days. They were so relieved. LOL. Anyway, just keep an eye on things. Ideally, I'd recommend moving the sparklers to a 15-20 gallon if you are able, and housing them with smaller, less boisterous fish. JMHO. :)

I had a group of 6 that were so active by the time they reached adult size that they were stressing out a pair of Rotkeil severums that were each 7-8 inches at the time. It got so bad that the severums were refusing to come out and eat. I rehomed the Colombians and the severums started eating again and spawned within days. They were so relieved. LOL. Anyway, just keep an eye on things. Ideally, I'd recommend moving the sparklers to a 15-20 gallon if you are able, and housing them with smaller, less boisterous fish. JMHO. :)[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking about rehoming the Colombians they are so much bigger than my other fish. I like the smaller peaceful fish.

Back
Top Bottom