New to a nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of getting into the Nano reef hobby. I was thinking a 10gal tank. Nothing fancy. My LFS has about a 15gal tank with no filtration that I can notice besides live rock, sand, calepera, and power heads. The calerpera is in the tank. The tank is stocked full of corals, and rock. They only have 1 fish in there, a royal gramma.

Any advice, or links would be GREATLY appreciated.

Will power compacts be enough to keep some nice coral?

Nano reefs can be very cool little tanks. You can certainly build your own tank to meet your needs. I happen to be a fan of the JBJ nano cube 12gal deluxe. It has a self-contained filtration compartment in the back, and 48 watts of PC lighting. That is enough for most softies and LPS you would want to put in the tank. It really comes down to personal preference. When I stated mine, I used 10lbs of LS from established tanks and 10lbs "LS" in a bag. about 20lbs of fully cured LR nd cured LR rubble in the filtration compartments as well as water from my 72 gal. I had no cycle what so ever. Starting a nano using stuff from your exsisiting tank can really cut down on the wait time as well. I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom