New to Aquariums - 3 Months In & First Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moxiejeff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey forum... I figured I should register here as I've been using this community for great advice.

Long story short, I'm new to owning a freshwater aquarium and we use an amazing service in Dallas who set up our tank, come monthly to do maintenance and keep it clean, etc.

Longer story short -- started with 2 blue acaras, 1 red gold severum, 2 plankos, and a pretty big frontosa. The frontosa is a peaceful giant, and is actually one of my more timid fish in the tank.

My tank is 90 gallons.

So why am I posting? Well, similar to a post on this forum in 2018, one of my blue acaras stopped eating. 3 weeks go by, no luck. We've tested the water, all the parameters are great... everyone else is eating... so physical signs of illness.... but he will not eat.

Two days ago, our aquarium service removed the fish because his fins were almost fully deteriorated, and I noticed the other blue acara was picking on him a lot. They kept doing the "locking kiss" and the healthy blue acara would literally corner the sick one and it was just getting bad.

So when we removed the sick acara, we put in 2 juvenile (3 inches long?) blue acara to replace the sick one. They're adorable, healthy, etc.

My light comes on today and I notice quickly that one of my new blue acaras has been half eaten. Like his tail is completely gone, and dead.

My first dead fish... and now I am trying to figure out who the culprit is. Can my adult blue acara do that type of damage? Or is it obviously the large frontosa (who I've never seen attack any of my fish).

Any suggestions? I worry that the remaining juvenile baby acara has not a long time to live now that his brother just got eaten in half.

Attached some photos, one of the guy that got eaten, the other healthy juvenile, and the rest of my tank mates.

Any ideas on who the culprit is?

Attachments

• IMG_7855.jpg
    IMG_7855.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7856.jpg
    IMG_7856.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7848.jpg
    IMG_7848.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7851.jpg