New to Aquarium's and Planted Tank's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbrew345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a noobie all around to this hobby. Now that's out and open. With my first tank I learned the hard way about tank cycling but I've now got that down. Both tanks have live plants in them my first one the plants aren't doing real well.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398803855.558356.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398803881.293159.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398803907.779125.jpg

Before I get a bunch of questions about the type I was a noobie and didn't write it down they were all bought from a big pet store. I've been using Flourish and recently added Flourish Tabs in the tank but I still don't know what I'm missing.

I don't want this to happen in tank #2. I learned this time and kept a list of Most of the plants in it.

Telanthera Cardinalis - Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
Telanthera Cardinalis - Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
Staurogyne Repens - Staurogyne Repens
Anubias Nana - Anubias Nana
Anubias Congensis - Anubias Congensis
Anubias Afzelii - Anubias Afzelii
Umbrella Plant - Spathiphyllum Wallisii
Umbrella Plant - Spathiphyllum Wallisii

There are two plant in this tank that I did not get the names of. I also added Eco-Complete as substrate.

2014-04-29 15.52.25.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-04-29 15.52.25.jpg
    2014-04-29 15.52.25.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 121
What size is the tank and lighting? Do you dose ferts or carbon? Also I'm pretty sure the umbrella plants isn't aquatic and the s. Repens needs medium light to grow propoerly.

29g tank, Current USA Freshwater LED+. The umbrella's were sold at the large pet store and marketed as aquatic. Yes there is carbon in my filters on both.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398808828.857987.jpg

How about ferts and carbon? That light should be good enough for low light and maybe medium.

I work at a chain probably where you got the plants but make sure where it says AQUATIC that it doesn't say SEMIAQUATIC. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the umbrella says semi.

Be careful when you buy the packaged plants at large retail stores like that, most of them are labeled aquatic, but really are not fully submersible. Its best to do a quick google search on your phone before you leave the store just to be sure. I have always had better luck buying plants online from sites like Aquriumplants.com or liveaquaria.com, the plants are better taken care of. They also give you good info about the plant so you know what it needs before you purchase them.

Using dry ferts are the most economical way to go and provide all the macro and micro nutrients they need. They will also last a very long time especially in smaller tanks.

use these ferts.... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html.

I also suggest 3 of these dosing bottles... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/dispenser-32oz.html

Read this thread about dosing PPS-Pro but only read the opening post and not all the comment posts... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html.

There are two things I do differently than the thread is that I split my macro nutrients up using one dosing bottle for nitrates, and one dosing bottle for phosphates and potassium. This allows me for better custom dosing to the needs of my tank. I shoot for 10-20ppm of nitrate and 1-5ppm phosphates. The thread also has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate in the macro mix. If your tanks Gh is 4 or over then your tap water has enough magnesium in it that supplementing it is not needed.

I would also suggest using a liquid carbon daily. You can get a gallon of Metricide 14 on line for about $20. It's twice the strength of Excel and is quite cheap to use. If you use Metricide 14 straight from the bottle at full strength I suggest using 1/2ml Metricide 14 to every 2 gallons of tank water unless you have delicate shrimp. This will aid the plants in growth and photosynthesis along with helping them to utilize the ferts provided.

Bought some liquid carbon last night. Got API just so I could get it in hand and in tank fast. Will get the other stuff later. Also thanks so much for all the links I've been reading them to further my knowledge I think next payday I will buy one of the assorted plant packs and redo my tanks with known aquatic plants.

If you bought Excel or API CO2 Booster you use that at a rate of 1ml for every 2 gallons of water unless you have delicate shrimp.

Should I get a CO2 system? If so does anyone have a suggestion as to what type for a 30g tank?

The problem with liquid carbons is that it is not a one size dose fits all. Things that affect liquid carbons are amount of light, amount of plants, plant types, and even the bio-load. Over the years of testing I've found a good standard dose for low to medium light tanks is 1ml liquid carbon to every 2 gallons of tank water. In higher light tanks that have no CO2 you can use 1ml to every 1 gallon of water. I've ran a very high light tank for well over 2 years on a dose of 9 ounces of liquid carbon to 200g of water. A true overdose of liquid carbon will make a tank cloud up quickly after use and will be clear the next day. When beginning using liquid carbons I would start with 1ml for every 5 gallons for 2 weeks then up it to 1ml for every 2 gallons. Metricide 14 which I mentioned earlier is much cheaper than name brand liquid carbons.

I'm thinking about Fluval Pressurized CO2 Kit - CO2 88 for my bigger tank and then liquid for the small tanks. Thoughts? Also do you have a suggested test kit for all the new things I need to be testing for?

I'm thinking about Fluval Pressurized CO2 Kit - CO2 88 for my bigger tank and then liquid for the small tanks. Thoughts? Also do you have a suggested test kit for all the new things I need to be testing for?

If you go the fluval co2 route be sure to have money readily available as you'll be buying the replacement bottles frequently

Back
Top Bottom