New to aquariums - Fresh or Salt water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

officernate3236

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am getting a 29 gallon tank this week and was wondering if I should go fresh water or salt water. I am very responsible and can handle maintanance. So thats not much of an issue. I have always enjoyed fish and grew up in Florida. I know tropical fish are generally more colorful which is a plus for me. Its coming with a filter and pump and what nots in the tank but I don't have experience on what a fish needs in the tank.

I will attempt to load a picture of what I am getting to better inform anyone who answers. I am glad to have found this blog and look forward to many convo's with you all! Thanks!

Looks more of a freshwater cause of the gravel. Saltwater you would a whole lot more stuff, more expensive, it's harder too. If you do want to do saltwater I would recommend replacing the gravel with live sand or crushed coral. That would be a nice freshwater aquarium though. Cichlids are nice and colorful freshwater fish for your tank.

Finances are a concern so I think you just answered the question for me. It comes with gravel and I have a friend with more gravel. Fresh water it is. Any suggestions on multiple types of organisms i could put in there with fish. If it helps: this is partly for stress reason. PTSD and all. Grow a garden, care for fish. Plus my kids will love it and multiple things to look at will help all the way around.

FYI, I keep my house at 67 degrees. I know that may influance things

Organisms can only help you so much, so you'll still have to do water changes. Freshwater with my experience is a whole lot more forgiving than saltwater. A cuc(clean up crew) will help a lot. Ghost shrimp,snails,sucker fish etc. keep your kids interested by buying more colorful,active organisms. Good luck, it's awesome having an aquarium!:dance:

I'd definitely suggest freshwater since you said you are new. Saltwater setups are much more expensive, harder to maintain, etc. Later on after you've done well with a freshwater tank and decide you want to start a saltwater tank that'd be great!

Back
Top Bottom