New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2/28/11
40% PWC
pH 8.0
High pH 7.8
Ammonia .25
Nitrite .10
Nitrate 2.0
Temp 76
Still light white cloudy water. Hopefully this will go away in the near future...

Today found a poor neon passed. Did a PWC 2 days in a row and also one today. Water is still kinda white cloudy and my test was shocking. (to me)
pH 8.0
HpH 7.5
Ammonia .40!!!!
rItes .20
rAtes .25
Temp 78
Should I do a second PWC today? Add ammonia remover?? Or is this the Ammonia spike I've been waiting for and hope the lil' guys survive???

Also noticed the fish are staying closer to the top, not gasping just swimming high. And noticed the neon's color was different (more pale than the rest) last night...

neons are very sensitive to ammonia. I would get the ammonia back down below 0.25 for their sake. There are a really hard to fish to keep alive during a cycle.

Do you think I adding some remover AND a PWC is the best course of action. And will adding remover mess with the cycle?

Personally, I wouldn't add any chemicals but prime (or another dechlor). I would just do PWCs. Clean water is the key.

Thanks guys. So I should expect doing multiple PWC's for the next few weeks, or until thing get under control. Prime is the ONLY thing I've put in the tank!
How long should the spike to last?

I say don't add anything else and wait for the cycle to be over. Check your filter, sometimes something nasty might be stuck in there. Personal experience lol. Do an 80% water change to jackknife that ammonia down. Some amquel+ helped when my ammonia spiked during the cycle. Add 1tsp. (5ml) and wait. Should be good. Don't do both though! Lol almost forgot to add that! Good luck!

JoeD said:
Thanks guys. So I should expect doing multiple PWC's for the next few weeks, or until thing get under control. Prime is the ONLY thing I've put in the tank!
How long should the spike to last?

Hard to say how long it will last. Probably a week or so at least. It is high maintenance cycling with fish... Especially neons.

Is it odd my Ammonia level is .15
and Nitrites are 0?
I understand when both are zero I'm close, but what is the typical Nitrate level for a newly cycled tank?
I'm at 2.5...

3/7/2011 Woohooo!!!

pH 6.0
HpH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3.0
Temp 76

Should I wait a bit for the Nitrates to rise a bit before putting fish in???

It won't get higher unless you put something in. And where your at is actually perfect! Congrats!

It won't get higher unless you put something in. And where your at is actually perfect! Congrats!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Appreciate all the help AA has provided!

I would like to thank my mom and dad, the academy for believing in me, my fans and all of the people that have made this possible!! lololz
0X

I threw this question into someones thread...

I was just reading about Neon Tetra Disease as I had 5 of them. I lost one and was left with four. Today I got 3 more and noticed that 2 of the tank ones started going crazy after each other, now that the 3 are in the tank they are all going wild relentlessly, fins up like Jaws and non stop. The older ones look duller in color than the new ones, but are non stop going after each other as well as the new ones.

Is this just normal behavior???

Are cardinals the way to go??

Much thanks.

Also, how do I start my own thread????

Back
Top Bottom