new to cichlids, new to breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpete

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got 10 convict cichlid fry. My goal is let them grow and end up with a pair or two in my 55 gal tank. Can my tank handle 2 pair?

Maybe.... it just depends on where they decide to call theirs.

I just got 10 convict cichlid fry. My goal is let them grow and end up with a pair or two in my 55 gal tank. Can my tank handle 2 pair?

You should be fine with 2 pairs your tank. Definitely try to add a good amount of hardscape so they can claim separate territory and stay out of each others way though. If each pair has their own pile of driftwood and rocks to claim it should help curb some territorial aggression.

My algae is out of control, growing on rocks and the glass. so I bought a small Chinese algae eater, but he disappeared after a few days. I think the convicts had him as a snack. They are only about 3/4 inch long (there's 9 remaining). Any other options for algae control? I do have 4 ghost shrimp (still alive), but I'm sure they won't last too much longer...

Back
Top Bottom