New to co2 looking for help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snailradel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone,

I know there are a million articles out there on CO2 but given that this community is incredibly helpful, I wanted to try and go straight for the answer specific to what I'm trying to accomplish.

The quick background:

My tank is 75 gallons, I have Cabomba, Crypts, Rotala, Java moss and have recently planted some glosso. My lights are a dual T5HO fixture.

Now, I would like to get going on pressurized CO2 as my DIY is really doing nothing (I have two pop bottle yeast reactors running in to the tank and going out of those blue air stones. I see bubbles coming out, but not enough to make me say "wow, look at all that co2!)

So, my question is:

If I were to buy the following, would I be good to go or am I missing something?

5lbs CO2 tank (filled of course)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aquarium-CO2...efaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2573308692&_uhb=1

CO2 safe tubing

And I have this already - http://www.aqua-medic.com/product/co2-reactor-500/

Would that do the job? Thoughts on the regulator? It appears to be cheaper than buying all of the components and assembling myself (I find that intimidating! I like the "out of the box" appeal)

Thank you for your time and feedback!

I have a 75 gallon tank as well and recently got all my co2 stuff together. It's been going well for the last two months, much better than the DIY co2 for sure. DIY is really only for 20g or less. The link you posted wouldn't work for me so I don't know what it is but I use the Milwaukee ma957 like the one found here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-M...982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45e705d6c6

You'll eventually need co2 tubing but regular tubing will work until you get some. You will also need a co2 diffuser or atomizer. These will creat much smaller bubbles than a regular airstone helping with greater dissolution. I have an in line atomizer now but I started with a fluval ceramic diffuser and it worked fine for $12. Then you should get a drop checker so you will be able to check your co2 levels, they can be cheap and they can also be expensive and fancy, the choice is yours.

Edit: whoops, I must have missed the line about you already having a reactor.

Excellent! Thank you for the reply,

Here is the link again to the regulator "combo" that I was looking at: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aquarium-CO2...efaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2573308692&_uhb=1

That link should work. Seems similar to the one you are recommending.

Also, the diffuser...isn't that what the aqua medic 500 does? I thought it mixed the co2 with the water the tank. Am I wrong on that? What does it do then? Lol

Okay that link worked. Seems like a good price for a regulator with two outlets, I would be concerned about the quality but that's just my thoughts on most things from Asia. It could very well be a great regulator. Do you have a need for two outputs? And yes, I had edited my post, I must have skipped the line about you having the reactor already so you can forget what I said about the diffuser, my bad.

I like the look of the one you linked. I would much rather buy something that comes recommended over something I "assume" will work well. I think I'll order it tomorrow. Next trick is sourcing a co2 tank locally and not having to give up my first born for it!

Thank you again. Good to see I'm not totally missing the plot!

I like the look of the one you linked. I would much rather buy something that comes recommended over something I "assume" will work well. I think I'll order it tomorrow. Next trick is sourcing a co2 tank locally and not having to give up my first born for it!

Thank you again. Good to see I'm not totally missing the plot!

There have been some things I've ordered from china and Japan that have worked well but a couple not so much, my personal feeling is if its important equipment I'd rather buy something that I know for sure is good. I know aquachem and many others use this regulator, its not top of the line I guess but its reliable. I ordered my 5lb co2 tank from HomeBrewStuff on amazon, it was the cheapest and I got it shipped to me for less than $60, but I think they raised their price but a few bucks, worth a look though

Something about that regulator gives me the willies... The fact that it doesn't have any gauges is suspicious as well. My fear is that it would essentially be a giant ASA valve for a standard tank rather than an actual regulator.

I use the Milwaukee regulator. Is cheap and practical, and does what it sets out to do without a problem. It's about the same price too, although there's only one outlet.

Wow! I'm embarrassed to admit this in public but I didn't even notice that it didn't have gauges! Goooood call!

Looks like I'm going with the Milwaukee!

Wow, I thought that was the valve... Which is more disturbing because apparently it doesn't have a valve.

Back
Top Bottom