New to forum..New 55G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicfan1423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am brand new to this forum. I found it when searching for information about fish I was looking to put in my new 55 gallon tank. I have maintained a 10 gallon aquarium for about 12 years now and finally decided to upgrade to a much larger aquarium. I let it cycle with ghost shrimp, and then began adding fish. I originally was persuaded to buy the tank because I rescued a pleco that was improperly placed into the 10 gallon tank of a friend.

Anyway, I guess I am seeking thoughts on the tank stock I currently have and just general information about these larger aquariums that I may not be aware of.

Currently (and I think I'm done adding fish), I have:
One common sailfin pleco (6")
10 giant danios (2")
2 red swordtails (One 4" female and a small 1.5" male)
1 Senegal Bichir (3.5")
1 African clawed frog (1.5")
~12-15 ghost shrimp
Apple snail

I am aware of the adult size of each of these fish but I do not have experience with any of them except plecos. I did research on each of these before I purchased them, but I'd like to know how you all think these fish will behave together and if you've had experience with them.

As for tank stats: 55 gallon, Top Fin 60 power filter, 200W heater (rarely use, water stays ~76)

I also have 3 bushels of hornwort, a bamboo plant, and 3 bushels of anacharis.

General comments, suggestions, information and anecdotes are all welcome!
Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this community, it looks like a great place for advice and a great resource for aquarium owners.

Picture of the 55 gallon tank!

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and information!

Attachments

• image-2651554597.jpg
    image-2651554597.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 85
The only thing I would worry about would be the bircher when it gets bigger. I could possibly eat some of it's tank mates. If you could add a few more plants to give the shrimp and fry (that will come) alittle more cover I think your good to go. 2 thumbs up!

Rivercats said:
The only thing I would worry about would be the bircher when it gets bigger. I could possibly eat some of it's tank mates. If you could add a few more plants to give the shrimp and fry (that will come) alittle more cover I think your good to go. 2 thumbs up!

Once the bichir gets bigger he will definitely eat the ghost shrimp. A full grown bichir would probably eat that frog too.

I actually just used the ghost shrimp to cycle the tank. Not keeping them as pets and figured the frog would eat them eventually. The frog can grow to 5-6", do you see the Bichir eating something that large even when he's fully grown? Maybe if it were an african dwarf frog?

Also, found out giant danios love crickets.. Thought that was kind of interesting!

I doubt it but I could see the frog eating the smaller fish. A frog that size has a really big mouth.

Magicfan1423 said:
I actually just used the ghost shrimp to cycle the tank. Not keeping them as pets and figured the frog would eat them eventually. The frog can grow to 5-6", do you see the Bichir eating something that large even when he's fully grown? Maybe if it were an african dwarf frog?

Also, found out giant danios love crickets.. Thought that was kind of interesting!

It should be fine when he is that big but keep in mind they will try to eat anything that is similar to the size of pinkies when older.(baby mice) but he should be fine with your stock.

When my kids were little they had two of the white aquatic frogs (don't ask me the names since that was in the 80's) and when those puppies got bigger they ate any fish that could fit in their mouth. And they were fast!

I have heard that the African Clawed Frogs will eat anything..even other frogs! I am wondering how well he'll do in such a big tank. I have read online that these frogs need shallow rather than tall tanks, however I believe my frog has learned a neat trick. He spends most of his time inside my center decoration, hiding. It happens to contain an air stone. I think I never see him go up to the surface anymore because he can "breathe" by using the bubbles from the air stone. He tends to swim to the air stone for a few seconds and then goes back into hiding...

Bishirs will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Learned that the hard way with the Senegal I used to have.

My striped one keeps trying to taste my plecos tail fin and the pleco is twice as wide o_O.

Wow.. Made this thread almost a year ago when I joined this community. I thought it was entertaining to look back at all the posts now and thought I would reply and share the "result" from this tank set-up with anyone who might be interested. So, after about 11 months, my African Clawed Frog has become King of the Tank, easily. He is now HUGE.. Almost 9 inches long when he stretches out, and has eaten 11 fish (7 Giant danios, 3 swordtails, and the bichir!).

Currently, my pleco has grown to about 10 inches.

I still have 3 of the original 10 giant danios left.

So that is an "update" nearly a year later.

Pics below are of my frog now (along with the pleco) and the frog when he was only a few weeks old (home from the LFS). There is also one picture of the frog with the tail of a giant danio sticking out of his mouth. When he gets really hungry and the lights are out I'll hear a sudden splash and then walk over to find this.

Attachments

• Nom Nom and Thor.jpg
    Nom Nom and Thor.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Nom Nom Eating Danio.jpg
    Nom Nom Eating Danio.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Young Nom Nom.jpg
    Young Nom Nom.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Young Nom Nom Standing.jpg
    Young Nom Nom Standing.jpg