New to Freshwater Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azabujuban

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening. I just established a ten gallon tank with a contrast gravel setup. About 3/4 is dark brown plant substrate and the other fourth is white sand. I have some driftwood with Java moss and hornwort throughout the tank. Some small snails have also appeared and I will keep them as they are not the pond variety.

I wish to foray into the realm of a freshwater shrimp tank given all of the varieties we have in Japan. That being said, can you offer advice on how to move things forward and have a thriving tank? Would and African frog be a threat to the shrimp?

I would like to add fish and the only ones readily available at the store are guppies, platys, mollies, neon tetras, orange tetras, and some other tetras.

Thank you for your help; I am glad I found this forum.

In my experience, adf's get aggressive with other fish and also struggle to get food. Also, careful to not confused adf's with acf's, which get very large.

If you choose to add any of those fish I would recommend going with neon tetras or another small type of tetra...If you are talking about African dwarf frogs it can be done but it will probably eat a few shrimp here and there and normally need to be hand fed...but if you are talking about African clawed frogs then no that wouldn't work out

For raising shrimp a species only tank is best.

You could possibly find some nano fish. Like Boraras Brigittae, boraras maculatus, boraras Naevus, Boraras urophthalmoides, Sundanio Axelrodi.

These fish can eat tiny shrimplets. They have small mouths and don't seem to bother the child /teen or adult sized shrimp. Easier for the tiny babies to hide in little places.

There are several very small tetras, but they might only be good with full grown shrimp.

Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD) aka Galaxy Rasboras are reportedly great with grown shrimp. They are hunters and I think they would eat any shrimplets if they could get them. Many people who have a nice sized colony of shrimp have them together because the shrimp reproduce quickly enough to replace the eaten ones.

The only ones I know which have had no effect on my Cherry population while together were the Boraras Brigittae. They eat and hang out at the top of the tank almost all the time. Haven't noticed them ever eating off the bottom of the tank.

My Sundanio Axelrodi Blue Neons scour the tank for snack treats, at all levels, so I believe they are slurping up the tiniest of baby shrimp in there.

Amano Japonica shrimp are much larger and really fun to watch even though they aren't as brightly colored, they are easily seen, they are quite comical. Better for the fish you mentioned being available near you.

Back
Top Bottom