New to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g_fish_jose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a55g running a penguin 350 filter with LEDs. I put a couple of low light plants (recommended by LFS) in it a week ago. One of them is a crypto - two of the older leaves have melted but it looks like there is a young leaf emerging. I was wondering how long it normally takes for these plants to establish. My substrate is small gravel but I do have root tabs.

The time it takes to acclimate can vary depending on the lighting, water chemistry, etc. But I know that crypts don't like to be moved and they would go through a melt, most likely than not. With that said, I'd give it 2 weeks to a month. They are slow growers so maybe even longer... but seeing a new leaf is a good sign. That's good that you put a root tab under it. They are heavy root feeders.

What LED are you using? And are you dosing a liquid carbon like Excel?

I'm just running the LEDs that came with the tank kit from marineland. They aren't all that bright but I'm just starting out with what I've been told are lower light plants.

I have the seachem Excel - have read there may be other liquid options but don't know what they are.

Back
Top Bottom