New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excited. Picked up some 1/4" acrylic at Home Depot for my sump baffles. Had to cut it myself, but wasn't too hard. So, now I have pretty much everything I need to set up the tank. We just have to paint the stand (and paint the room it's going in). It should be up and running next weekend!

Any suggestions on sand? I want the kind with crushed corral, and plan to do live sand. I kinda like the look of some black in the sand.

To Each, His Own... I do not like the black in the sand!! I've been picking pieces of snail shells, etc b/c I just want clean white sand!! But that's just my preference. I can't decide if I were to do it over again if I'd go w/ a VERY thin layer or crushed aragonite or w/ sand. I would like the look of thick, thick sand but don't want to deal w/ the NitrAte probs, etc of a DSB.

Well, my sump is now complete. I have very minor leaks between some baffles, but I think they will still serve the purpose. With this, I have everything I need to set up. Just need to paint the stand and off we go! Can't wait to see this thing done.

Update: I was happy to find that the fixture that came with my aquarium kit is a Coralife dual light T5 fixture that had two 14 watt T5 bulbs for a planted tank. Went to the LFS and bought a 14 watt 10,000K and a 14 watt actinic. I'm not sure, but this seems like a pretty good starting place for my lighting! Thoughts?

Update: I was happy to find that the fixture that came with my aquarium kit is a Coralife dual light T5 fixture that had two 14 watt T5 bulbs for a planted tank. Went to the LFS and bought a 14 watt 10,000K and a 14 watt actinic. I'm not sure, but this seems like a pretty good starting place for my lighting! Thoughts?

Good light for fish only and some lower light corals.

Those are just for looks. An entirely new fixture is what I would recommend if you want higher light corals. I would have purchased it now, instead of lamps for the one you have, and then add on fixture(s), buy once and be done with it.

Those are just for looks. An entirely new fixture is what I would recommend if you want higher light corals. I would have purchased it now, instead of lamps for the one you have, and then add on fixture(s), buy once and be done with it.

The fixture I have came with the kit. Just cost $20 to rebulbing with "marine" bulbs. Figured that was good enough for now.

Any recommendations for a reasonably good light? I don't need the perfect light that will let me grow everything... Just something that will give us a bit more flexibility. I really like the soft ones for his tank, anyway... Maybe more light isn't even needed.

Try what you have, and if you see any corals you add lose color and go brown or dull, you will know you need more light. 28 watts of T5 over a 25 gallon tank isn't much.
As far as a new fixture, give me a ballpark budget, and I'll try to hunt you down something.

Try what you have, and if you see any corals you add lose color and go brown or dull, you will know you need more light. 28 watts of T5 over a 25 gallon tank isn't much.
As far as a new fixture, give me a ballpark budget, and I'll try to hunt you down something.

I paid $220 for 2 aquatic life fixtures on my 40g planted... I would hope I could take care of lighting on this one for $150 or less.

If I where you I would by 15 or so pounds of dry rack and a few pounds of live to "seed" the dry rock. Live sand would be good as well. Then all you need is a heater and thermometer power head and bam you got a fowlr Fish Only With Live Rock tank!
Just be sure you let the tank cycle. I know it can be tempting to just throw some clowns in right when you set it up. But you gotta make sure there is 0 ammonia. 0 nitrites. And low nitrates. Then you'll be ready!!! Lol good luck! I hope your son likes the tank!!!!

Oh didn't read the most recent posts lol:) good lick with the reef

Go on ebay and type in Dimmable 120w led! They are around $130 and will support anything!!!! I really wish I got that light:( lol :) oh well

I paid $220 for 2 aquatic life fixtures on my 40g planted... I would hope I could take care of lighting on this one for $150 or less.
Yes, search for "Taotronics dimmable LED" on ebay and amazon. This fixture will allow you to keep anything, for a decent price.

Oh didn't read the most recent posts lol:) good lick with the reef

No worries. The reef part will come much later. I want to learn some of the dynamics of the SW tank before I start with corals. Your advice is still good!

Well, the time is quickly approaching. The stand is done (pics to come), the paint is drying on the back of the tank, and all the equipment is ready to be set up.

Planning on using Fiji pink sand and about 25 pounds of live rock to start with. Should be up and running Thursday evening.

Stocking plan:
Pair of true perculas
2 Fire Shrimp
Purple firefish
Six-line wrasse (maybe)

Suggestions/corrections more than welcome. I won't be stocking fish for quite a while. The only "must have" is the pair of true percs.

All set up. Only 20 lbs of rock, but will probably add more in the weeks to come. Still hazy, but it has finally taken shape.

Attachments

• image-3606786666.jpg
    image-3606786666.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-435618202.jpg
    image-435618202.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 103
The water has cleared up, so now I wait.

Attachments

• image-3946902710.jpg
    image-3946902710.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-276365123.jpg
    image-276365123.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3803686122.jpg
    image-3803686122.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom