New to mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I thought about setting up a 30gal cichlid tank. But there weren't enough possibilities. So I've decided to go for a 75gal mbuna tank. I'm new to these fish so I don't know where to start on my stock list. Any ideas?

Any ideas at all? There are so many mbuna to choose from. I suggest reading through some of the profiles at www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles . They have pictures of most any cichlid imaginable. A 75g gives you a lot of options. I would suggest sticking with mbuna and not throwing haps and peacocks in to the mix.

If you don't already know, a lot of rocks are a necessity. 3 or more hiding spots per fish will keep aggression to a minimum. You also want to aim for 3-6 females for every male. This also keeps aggression down.

I would also suggest what rookie said . Alot of Mbuna out there to choose from. Yellow Labs, Red Zebras, Kenyi are just a few of the more common mbuna

Thanks. I'll look at the profiles. I was also going to get cichlid sand and Texas holey rock for hiding spaces

PFS works fine, and is much cheaper than those marketed towards aquariums. THR is also expensive, but some prefer the look. I like the more dark brown rock, so mine came from a creek. One thing I've learned is a lot of money is made off african cichlids. Everyone buys the special products made specifically for them, at a very expensive price. But, it's your tank. Set it up how you want it, not how anybody else wants it ;)

tufa rock and lace rock , check my albums on my profile, tufa is white oceanic rock looking with lots of little holes and is lightweight, and lace is grey and holey , both are about $2 a pound. check out my albums, wish i did sand tho. i mixed natural gravel and crushed coral. congrats on getting a bigger tank, you will love african mbunas. blue, white, yellow, orange-so pretty.

Pfs=pool filter sand? If the fish don't care either way, then that's what I'll use. I also like the look of Texas holey rock but depending on the price I might go for something else. Is it better to buy adult sized cichlids or buy them all as juveniles and let then grow up together?

from what i seen Texas Holey is pretty pricey especailly seeing you going to need alot of it. Pfs is great cheap and easy to maintain, As rookie said creeks make for a great place to find rock for your tank. I am sure you will do fine. your headed in the right direction asking all the right questions. Oh and another place to try is a landscaping store or excavating yard for rock.

I have a 115g tank set up for mbuna (one of these days I'll get the newest batch of firemouth fry out of there) I used PFS and lace rock with a few fake plants. I can't wait to get my africans.

You must get pics!!!

Texas holey rock is so pretty though. But I'll definitely look at landscape stores. Should I be looking for limestone?

i believe limestone or slate will work i have both in my tank. Sorry if i seemed like i was telling you not to use the Holey rock.

do what you like, texholerock looks great, i think... but i think lace and tufa are up there.if you use argonite based substrates or hard water/ type rocks and substrate, it will help keep your p.h. up near the 8.2 that is optimal. my ph is 7.8 and they are breeding and i dont have to use ph up or anything, i hear that stuff sucks anyway. make your own cichlid salts, look into it.

here is a pic with both the lace and tufa rock
33953-albums1415-picture9833.jpg

yes, it is very lightweight and has little holes all over it... like reef or oceanic rock. i personally sway toward the lace because the grey color seems to look more natural and thre white stuff will not stay bright white for long, that is a pic right after i put it in... now it is getting darker with algae too, but is great for containing bio-bacteria in it-very porus

Back
Top Bottom