New to planted aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ingy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am brand new to the concept of planted aquariums. I have had freshwater aquariums for over 30 years but with gravel bottoms and the simple hardy plants like java ferns.
Recently I upgraded a 27 gal saltwater tank to a 110 and my son wants to try the planted with the old tank. For equipment I have;
27 gal (30") tank
Whisper 20-40 filter
Heater
Hood with T8 bulb 24" (bulb to be replaced)

My intention is to build a system based on the appropriate low lighting avoiding to CO2 requirements. There will be ample fish to provide the required bioload.

Any advice or reading/viewing links would be appreciated.

Basically you will have only a couple plants that would be suitable. Java Fern, both regualar and Wendilov, Bolbitus (african fern), and any of the Anubia species. All these do best attached to a piece of DW. You could try a couple Crypt Wendtii but I'm not sure that will be enough light light. Plus you still are going to need to pick up a fertilizer like seachem comprehensive to use after weekly water changes.

If you could integrate a double t8 or even a couple daylight cfl's then you wold still be low to mid lighting thus avoiding co2 but yet expanding your plant options.

Well, tank has been up and running for a couple months now. Put in 2 T8 bulbs and all the plants are doing well. With an assortment of tetras, rasboras and mollies the nitrogen balance seems to be spot on. A couple of algae eaters a small catfish and a couple shrimp round out the CUC. However today I found a steal of a deal (I think). The LFS had a 6" Gold Nugget Pleco listed as a spotted for only $19. Oops. If he doesn't play well I'll trade him in at another LFS for a bushy nose or a rhino Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom