new to planted tank, liquid fert? what and how often

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my 36g tank about 8 weeks now, two weeks ago I put in some Java ferns and an anubus. the plants are in small clay pots, what liquid fert should I use, how often and how to add it?

I dosed Seachem Flourish once during weekly partial water change and dosed API Leaf zone during the midweek. I accompanied those dose with API CO2 Liquid Booster since I had not set up my DIY CO2 yet. But even before I started dosing the liquid booster, just the Flourish and the leaf zone works wonders.

But that is just me. Some other experts can tell you what works for them.

bobc4d said:
I've had my 36g tank about 8 weeks now, two weeks ago I put in some Java ferns and an anubus. the plants are in small clay pots, what liquid fert should I use, how often and how to add it?

Anubias and Java Fern will do better attached to a rock or driftwood or something. The rhizome cannot be buried or the plants will suffer. Before I switched to dry ferts I used Brightwell FlorinMulti and it worked very well. SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive is a good one too.

thanks Blert. I have the "ball" set in fluorite which is in each terracotta pot. I have some petrified wood (rocks) I can set them on. How would I go about getting the plants to attach themselves to the rock and get them to stay there?

Do I just add the fert to the water by dripping it in?

You can use thread to hold them in, the roots will in time attach to the driftwood or rock before even the thread will melt away. You can just cut the thread after. Or you can use clear crazy glue to attach them.

If you have a liquid fertilizer, you can just dose them directly in the tank according to the instructions in the bottle.

Super glue is the easiest method. Make sure that it is the GEL kind though as the runny stuff can get messy and can take a long time to dry if things are wet.

super glue? that just blows my mind :lol:

so do I add a drop of glue to the rock then the "ball" and not the "roots" of the plant? how soon after I do this do I put the plant back in the water?

my plants aren't really buried in the fluorite, just about 1/8" - 1/4" enough to hold them in place.

You have to take them out from the clay they are in so the main plant can be attached to the the rocks. Put a little drop of the glue just enough for the plant to hold on to the rock. Attach the side or some part of the plant, not the roots, to the rocks. The roots of the fern and the anubias has to be free flowing in the water and not contained in a pot or any kind of substrate. It will not just grow properly. Once you think the plant will not go nowhere, you can put them back in the water.

when you say in a "ball", what do you really mean by that? was just curious...:)

and thank you so much for the thanks. :)

when you say in a "ball", what do you really mean by that? was just curious...:)

and thank you so much for the thanks. :)

by ball, I meant where all the stems of the plants come together like in a ball. LOL

and you are welcome.

daileene said:
I dosed Seachem Flourish once during weekly partial water change and dosed API Leaf zone during the midweek. I accompanied those dose with API CO2 Liquid Booster since I had not set up my DIY CO2 yet. But even before I started dosing the liquid booster, just the Flourish and the leaf zone works wonders.

But that is just me. Some other experts can tell you what works for them.

Curious about the API Co2 liquid booster. So if I'm dosing with Flourish Comprehensive on Sunday after my pwc, the add in Leaf Zone on Wednesdays, when would I add the Co2 liquid booster? Do you think it really helps?

Sorry OP. Not trying to hijack the thread lol. Just a quick question.

The stuff has a half-life of about 24 hours. Dose every to every other day. Follow the directions on the bottle.

I dosed my tank about 2 weeks ago with Brightwell FluorinMulti. I was having water quality problems and did many 50% water changes afterward. the problems have been resolved so should I re-dose with the fluorinmulti or wait the two weeks and keep it at a monthly dosing as per the directions?

bobc4d said:
I dosed my tank about 2 weeks ago with Brightwell FluorinMulti. I was having water quality problems and did many 50% water changes afterward. the problems have been resolved so should I re-dose with the fluorinmulti or wait the two weeks and keep it at a monthly dosing as per the directions?

Eh? The dosage for Brightwell FlorinMulti is 5ml/50g weekly or 6drops/50g daily.

oh man, I must be seeing thing. I re-read the instructions and it is once per week. I have no idea where I read once per month, which I thought was weird.

Curious about the API Co2 liquid booster. So if I'm dosing with Flourish Comprehensive on Sunday after my pwc, the add in Leaf Zone on Wednesdays, when would I add the Co2 liquid booster? Do you think it really helps?

Sorry OP. Not trying to hijack the thread lol. Just a quick question.

Just to answer the question quick:

On sundays when I do PWC, I dosed the Flourish with CO2 booster. Then on Wednesdays, I dosed Leaf Zone with CO2 booster again. And so far, it helps. My CO2 booster right now is temporary until I will be able to setup my DIY CO2. Once I am done with the setup, the CO2 will run daily.

Back
Top Bottom