New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
plants can't take advantage of just light or just co2 or just nutrients. Unless all three factors increase together, It won't be able to use the extra stuff your giving it. Co2 and nutrients are the limiting factor of your plant's light consumption. This means when you have this inbalance the algae can use up all that extra stuff. Don't invest in just light or just co2. Light is the only thing that won't occur naturally in the tank so people try to add as much of it as they can but it's pointless if you don't balance all the factors so your plants acctually use the light. Lol that's what I know for fact. I don't acctually have any specific experience because I don't run high tech.

Definitely go for the 2 bulb fixture. Catalina and AquaNova are 2 other T5 light companies that are worth looking at. You can also get a fine CO2 solenoid on amazon for less than $100US then just find a welding or gas supplier nearby to get a CO2 tank. If you divided up the money you were planing to spend on the 4 bulb fixture you could easily have an amazing planted tank setup! You'd be able to grow nearly anything well.

I do use a 2xT5 light with pressurized CO2. If you really want plants and very few headaches, CO2 will be your friend. There still is a learning curve and lots of other things to consider (like ferts), but good equipment will always help out. If you decide against CO2 there are still plenty of good options for plants.

So I don't need the $300 co2 system just something to take the co2 and put it in the tank?

I'm going to add a different spin here. First you don't have to have CO2 with high lighting. I have a 220 gallon with 3x150watt HID Metal Halide 4x39watt T5HO. I run my MH's 6 hours a day, the T5's 12 hours. I use glutaraldehyde liquid carbon not CO2. I do have a very nutrient rich substrate (organic soil) and my plant growth is unbelieveable. I have to pull out ambulia and corkscrew val weekly or the runners would over run my tank. All my stem plants grow like weeds. I regularly have to remove leaves off my swords and in the 30+ years I've been in the hobby I never knew crypts could grow so big so fast. I do use a regular fertilizer program, PPS-Pro. I do not have algae problems. They only thing I do not have without the CO2 is no pearling from my plants.

To start you can get a 2 T5 fixture (I run one on a 55 with lower light plants and not just anubia's and java ferns), use Excel or some type of liquid carbon, use root tabs to fertilize your substrate if you add plants like swords that need substrate fertilization, then use a good water column fertilizer. Get the feel of running a planted tank. Once you get comfortable and see how plants grows, ferts, work, etc., then spend the money on CO2 as an ungrade later if you want. Don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning, you can add things later. This is just my opinion and how I have done things for a long time and wanted you to see there are other options.

Rivercats said:
I'm going to add a different spin here. First you don't have to have CO2 with high lighting. I have a 220 gallon with 3x150watt HID Metal Halide 4x39watt T5HO. I run my MH's 6 hours a day, the T5's 12 hours. I use glutaraldehyde liquid carbon not CO2. I do have a very nutrient rich substrate (organic soil) and my plant growth is unbelieveable. I have to pull out ambulia and corkscrew val weekly or the runners would over run my tank. All my stem plants grow like weeds. I regularly have to remove leaves off my swords and in the 30+ years I've been in the hobby I never knew crypts could grow so big so fast. I do use a regular fertilizer program, PPS-Pro. I do not have algae problems. They only thing I do not have without the CO2 is no pearling from my plants.

To start you can get a 2 T5 fixture (I run one on a 55 with lower light plants and not just anubia's and java ferns), use Excel or some type of liquid carbon, use root tabs to fertilize your substrate if you add plants like swords that need substrate fertilization, then use a good water column fertilizer. Get the feel of running a planted tank. Once you get comfortable and see how plants grows, ferts, work, etc., then spend the money on CO2 as an ungrade later if you want. Don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning, you can add things later. This is just my opinion and how I have done things for a long time and wanted you to see there are other options.

I might try that way

Yup. Just remember that the key to good plants isn't light lights lights. It goes more like balance balance balance.

Philip99 said:
Ya see this is my fixture

I currently have 2 54w 6700k bulbs in it
And I think that I cost me around $150

Beautiful tank by the way. What is the plant on the left side towards the back and the grass looking stuff on the bottom?

Masoniac said:
Beautiful tank by the way. What is the plant on the left side towards the back and the grass looking stuff on the bottom?

Dwarf sage

So would a 96 watt compact fluorescent be good enough?

It would be my cheapest route since I already have the fixture just never used it

Masoniac said:
It would be my cheapest route since I already have the fixture just never used it

It's always a win if you can use something you already have on hand. Let us know how it works out. What bulb do you have in it now?

CorallineAlgae said:
It's always a win if you can use something you already have on hand. Let us know how it works out. What bulb do you have in it now?

I purchase a 6700k bulb for it should be here sometime next week

Still haven't got my light was scheduled to be delivered yesterday will be complaining

Masoniac said:
Still haven't got my light was scheduled to be delivered yesterday will be complaining

That really is a long wait for you to get that light. I'd complain too, though my last order was late due to the hurricane. I have to excuse that one. ^_~

I hope the new light works out.

Light just came I put it in the fixture and wow it really give an all new look to my tank

Back
Top Bottom