New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nebulous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am starting a planted tank for the first time and would like some lighting advice. I want no co2 and would like to dose flourish comprehensive. I would also like to avoid algae blooms as well. I have a 40 gallon tank with sand substrate, stock marineland led lights and a few corkscrew Val's which are surviving but not doing much. It's been 2 to3 weeks since the Val's were planted. It is 20 inches from where lighting will be to substrate.

I'm looking at either the fugeray or ray 2 but don't know which one will give me the most growth with no algae issues.

Any suggestions?

I reccomend the Current TrueLumen Pro series of lighting if you are in to LEDs. They are high lighting but doesnt promote algae growth. I use them on my 60 gallon. Link is in my sig if you want to check it out.

I was looking at the true lumen pro led but wasn't sure if I needed one or two 24 inch strips. Algae was also a concern since im not dosing any co2. The tank is 30 inches wide btw. The rays are more than half the price cheaper than the true lumens too. Although I'd rather buy once than have to replace inadequate lights down the road.

I've looked At that chart but they recommend 2 fixtures and the par rating of those lights put it at highlight light, thus my fear of algae . Any thoughts?

Well their website says it doesnt grow algae. But, we all know that can't be true :lol: Honestly though, I have 2 48" sun white 8,000K strips on my 60g PLUS a 2 bulb T5HO fixture running 2 54watt 6700K bulbs so I have a total of 168 watts of light on my tank (108 watts of T5, and each LED strip is 30 watts) and 2 bulbs of T5HO, and 2 TrueLumen Pro LED strips and I don't have much algae anymore now that my tank is balanced.

I just saw they have a dimmer available so I would assume I could get the dimmer if I have too much light for my tank. Do they look as good in reality as they appear to online? Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I use the dimmer on my LED strips, but I have never had to use it. Handy tool though! The lights are awesome. If you get diamond white, you should get a beautiful lighted tank, I use sun white which is still extremely bright and pretty. It adds a nice shimmer to the water which also makes it looks more natural. They really are good LED's, I also use the Ray 2 on another one of my tanks, but I wouldn't use it for anything more than a 30 gallon because they don't have the best PAR ratings and the stats aren't that impressive.

You would suggest the 12 over the 8 k lights? Do they still grow plants as well? I'm also wondering about a moonlight. Do you think the actinic strip would be too bright for that purpose?

I was just saying the 12K would be brighter. It would be a higher light too, so it depends on the plants you are wanting to grow. The 8K is better for planted aquariums, though. I think the marine fusion or the deep water blue strips are geared more towards marine purposes, so I wouldn't get a whole strip of it...the fugeray has integrated moon lights...sounds like something to google

Haha yea, I think I've read everything possible on the web on those two lights. Tanks again for the help. Might just go with the true lumens for the versatility.

Back
Top Bottom