New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id say theyre quite a hardy plant, I do believe they need to be attached to a rock or driftwood.

What kind of lights you have on you tank and what size is the tank itself?

you would need a daylight spectrum bulb and you would want to tie the rhizome to something to keep it in place. You dont bury the plant like others.

Christopherlh84 said:
I have two 15 watt bulbs in a ten gal

Do you know how much ks?
For example I have 15w bulbs that are 6500k
With the proper lighting and it being attached to wood or a rock it grows very nicely 
Just don't plant it into the substrate

^ True, They must be attached to dw or rock. if you want one like that petco sells them already attacked to a rock and/or drift wood. Imo youd probly could grow them in that tank. Ive got that same tank atm but its empty, so let me know how you fair out with it.

How does that look?

Attachments

• image-604584408.jpg
    image-604584408.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2257597766.jpg
    image-2257597766.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 61
Fishandmusic81 said:
Do you know how much ks?
For example I have 15w bulbs that are 6500k
With the proper lighting and it being attached to wood or a rock it grows very nicely 
Just don't plant it into the substrate

I don't know the ks of my bulbs.

I have two 15 watt bulbs in a ten gal

If you have stock lighting, your bulbs they're probably not 6500k bulbs. Believe it or not, stock lighting is good enough for Anubius. I also had a couple of them in my son's old 10gal that had 2x 15w incandescent bulbs and they did fine.

I don't have the pack anymore. So I will look into getting better bulbs . Also how long each day should I run the lights to keep the plants happy?

Coursair said:
I swapped out my Incandescents for two Mini CFLs. I got ZooMed UltraSun 6,500K 10 watt bulbs. Grows my jungle fine.

Nice I'm planning on getting one for my 25 gal I plan it on being very heavily planted
It'll be enough?

Nice I'm planning on getting one for my 25 gal I plan it on being very heavily planted
It'll be enough?

For a 25g you want I'd say at least 40-50 watts over it. Depending on the type of bulb. T5HOs put out a lot of light for their wattage. CFLs I aim for about 2 watts per gallon so I can avoid dealing with CO2 ( I'm cautious because of my Shrimp ). If you do go High Light, you will need pressurized CO2 almost certainly.

I'm no expert on lighting. I have small tanks that are Low Light/Low Tech.

Coursair said:
For a 25g you want I'd say at least 40-50 watts over it. Depending on the type of bulb. T5HOs put out a lot of light for their wattage. CFLs I aim for about 2 watts per gallon so I can avoid dealing with CO2 ( I'm cautious because of my Shrimp ). If you do go High Light, you will need pressurized CO2 almost certainly.

I'm no expert on lighting. I have small tanks that are Low Light/Low Tech.

Oh ok well I'm not really aiming for high light plants some java fern snubias the hardest plant to have will probably be an amazon sword
as long as I get something a long the lines of 6500k I think I should be fine?

Oh ok well I'm not really aiming for high light plants some java fern snubias the hardest plant to have will probably be an amazon sword
as long as I get something a long the lines of 6500k I think I should be fine?

These are not High Light plants...they can live in High Light, but they don't need it.
Java Fern
Anubias
Amazon Swords
will all survive in Low Light btw. It's not just the Kelvin (color temp) of the bulb, it's how many watts and what kind of bulb.

High Light needs lots of CO2 and Ferts or you'll just grow Algae, not plants !

Chose your lighting wisely. There are stickies in the planted tank section about lighting.

Back
Top Bottom