New to Saltwater, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschroeder55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We were given a 75 gallon aquarium that was set up as saltwater. It was left in a home without power so we had to tear it down and brought it home and cleaned it up real good. It has the pro clear wet dry sump with bioballs, hose that goes from overflow to the sump pump, a return pump that I think was used in the sump with hose to the tank, led white lights and led blue lights, 2 heaters, hang on overflow box that I need to replace as lips are broken, and about 75-90 lbs of dead live rock. We've bought 1 powerhead, our subtrate, got it cleaned, cleaned all the dead live rock that we are going to use and have it ready, also bought our instant ocean. Before I get started, still need to pick up the replacement overflow box, another powerhead and a protein skimmer.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Don't have alot of extra money right now so it needs to be on the low expense side. Our plan is to start out with some fish, some inverts, and a little coral. Any suggestions on the protein skimmer and how they work.

Thanks.

slow down! Do away with the bio-balls don't need them and they will cause nitrates in the long run. Buy a good quality skimmer. You need to let the tank cycle before you add any inverts or coral. Takes about6-8 weeks. look into the thread "getting started" and do some research. Be patient!

A protein skimmer is essentially fine bubble that force organic waste into a collection cup thus removing it. You then clean out the collection cup once or twice a week (depending on your waste).

Personally i would do away with the Bio Balls as they hold and store waste which is not what we want. We want to remove it so an important part of your setup will be your skimmer.

Deltec are the leading brand in skimmers however there are many other brands out there that will do the job. Look for Bubble Magus on ebay and make sure you read through the descriptions as to how many litres they're rated for. Go for one rated higher than your tank not lower even if its by a small fraction.

You're also going to need to cure your rock and cycle your tank. this can take up to 6 weeks and once you have zero Ammonia & Nitrite reading you can add your first fish. You would also be looking for low Nitrates also.

Best of luck :)

thanks

Had already removed the bioballs as we were told to get live rock rubble and put in it's place. Is that true.

Live rock rubble would be far more beneficial. You do however need a skimmer somewhere down there to catch the waste particals.

Amazing how 2 of us said the same thing about bio balls at exsactly the same minute of the day. +1 to bo ball removal :p

Back
Top Bottom