New to saltwater need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah it should be fine. Unless your pH is below 7.8 don't mess with it.

Yeah it should be fine. Unless your pH is below 7.8 don't mess with it.

Ok sounds good. I'm getting so stoked to finally have it going. It's clearing up nice too but now I have just a white cloudiness but not super thick just enough so the waters not clear

It will clear soon. Always an exciting time when first starting a tank

It will clear soon. Always an exciting time when first starting a tank

Should I turn everything off and just let it cycle or just let the sump go and everything or power heads too...not sure right now?

Leave everything on but the lights and skimmer if you have one.

No skimmer yet and I know about the lights cause of algae. Thanks so much for the help man. Hope you like my tank when is done haha

While you're cycling your tank there is no need to do water changes unless you are keeping livestock while cycling

While you're cycling your tank there is no need to do water changes unless you are keeping livestock while cycling

Ok thanks for the info cause I've heard your suppose to but I'm glad you cleared that up

Should I use my canister filter with the carbon in it when I start putting stuff in there?

You don't really need carbon from the start .
IMO .
Do you have a sump ?
I really don't know anything about your system to say it's good or not .
I use a canister on my 75 reef and it hasn't given me any problems .
Canisters are known to be nitrate factories .
Trapping them .
Mine has only filter floss that I wash every Saturday .

You don't really need carbon from the start .
IMO .
Do you have a sump ?
I really don't know anything about your system to say it's good or not .
I use a canister on my 75 reef and it hasn't given me any problems .
Canisters are known to be nitrate factories .
Trapping them .
Mine has only filter floss that I wash every Saturday .

Yea I have a sump but I know that carbon takes out phosphates and makes the water like crystal clear. So I wanted to run my canister filter which also can hold carbon instead of the floss so I wanted to use the carbon just as extra.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393985200.944566.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393985233.556669.jpg

Ok so I finally have it somewhat clear. No mud floating and still just a little cloudy white. I put a raw shrimp in for two day then cut one up and left it in there for an extra day and there were some pieces that fell off that I left in there also uses bio spira and have 15 pounds of live rock from my LFS.

Parameters were at
Ammonia -1.0 / 2.0
Nitrites - 1.0 / 2.0
Nitrates - .50
It's hard to tell what color matches from the chart to the liquid. I think it's just me Bc everybody else seems to have some good luck with it. Not sure

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394024580.941308.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394024617.673994.jpg
Woke up to the tank be almost completely clear it's lookin a whole lot nicer.

Also I have my refugium mud in my refugium and I have no Idea really what seeding the refugium is?

Can anybody please help? This doesn't seen right...I'm 4 days into cycle and I have ammonia that isn't super high I have nitrites and nitrates...aren't you suppose to have one at a time while one goes up then down the next would be going up as the others going down right?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394061908.153504.jpg

So I have a question. Once my ammonia and nitrites go down to 0 do a big water change and check for nitrates and if at 0 I'm good for fish?

Back
Top Bottom