New to Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 28 gal Tank that I have used for a freshwater tank for about 8 years. The fish have finally died off due to old age. Does anyone think I would have any problems converting this to a small reef and fish tank. I was thinking about 40 lbs of LR, enough LS for 1-2 inch coverage. Then add a couple of fish and a shrimp to two.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Should be fine. I would also get a couple of Maxijets (enough for 10-15x tank volume per hour flowrate) and a good protein skimmer.

If I get a good protein skimmer will I also need a rear filter also? Like a Bio-Wheel.

Nope, the LR and LS will be all the biological filtration you need.

My LFS has 2 types of skimmers: Bak-Pak 2R or the Prizm Deluxe Skimmer. Any thoughts on which would be the better of the two. If these are not any good then what might you suggest.

From what I have learned, it is best to get the best skimmer your budget will allow! Most people recommend the Aqua C brand, (such as their Remora line) which are quite pricey BUT they work like nothing else! I have one and love it, and the store I work at has people that come in and swear by them! Just a little something to think about, check a couple forums and see what people say about them. Enjoy it, saltwater is a lot of fun :D

I use the Prizm on my 20 gallon and can't really complain, it skims. I've heard the Bak-Pak is a little better but also more expensive. I've heard the Aqua C Remora is a lot better and more than twice the price of the Prizm. But I think for a 20-30 gallon tank the prizm would work fine.

there r a lot of ppl on here that also swear by the bakpak2...i think it is a close second to the remora (according to this forums general census)..btw my bakpak2 will be in off ebay tomorrow :)

I would suggest the cpr bak-pak over the prizm. prizm isn't bad...but if you can afford the cpr unit, you should get it. prizm's tend to underskim, and there's certainly nothing wrong with lots of skimming. I have a prizm and it works...but I feel like its underpowered. I'll be replacing it sometime later this year, keepign it on hand for backup, or for the qtank.

Back
Top Bottom