New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCUBA-Pat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sometime this week, I'm going to buy a new tank for a pair of orange clownfish. I'm just need a basic understanding of what I will exactly need. The local shop here (non chain), has given me a general I dea, but I would like a better idea.

So first off, just for these two fish, what size tank should I be looking at? And what things should I look at getting to start up this tank. I would like to get a anemone for them, and it's only a certain type they usually live in. So do I need to do something special for it to grow?

As you can see I am complete novice to reef aquariums, but I miss the reef and would like to start small and heard clownfish are hardy a d make prefect first time fish. So any advice help will be great.

Thankd

I bought a sea bay clownish already hosted with the anemone from the LFS.it's the one in my pic

The two clownfish that on display at the store dont have an anemone in their tank.

I'm more looking for help not deals from stores though.

I just happened to walk in and see it..had bought two ocellaris clownish and a bubble tip and they never hosted..so when I seen this sea bay already hosting I bought it:lol

I just read that they don't need one. But how hard are they to look after

It is best not to get an anemone until your tank has been stable for a few months. Clowns don't need an anemone. Anemones even when they are happy can decide to tour the tank and end up messing up the whole thing by getting chopped up in a power head. This is really a good read Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Keeping Anemones

For 2 clowns I would get a 20 or 30 gallon tank because when they start figuring out who is dominate it may take awhile and they might need their own space. I don't care for bare bottom tanks so sand and live rock it can be base rock and will actually turn to live rock. You will probably like to have a light. A heater is a must unless you keep your house about the same temperature day and night. You will need a refractometer it is more accurate than a hydrometer. For food I use formula 2 and rods food so my fish get a balanced diet.

I forgot you will need a good liquid test kit like API.

About the life span of a clown my lfs had one for over 25 years that died recently and they have one that is about the same age that is still alive. Anemones usually don't live a year in a tank unless it is one that is one that has split off another one then it is possible they live for 5 years or more. I say 5 years because I know someone that has a rose tip that is that old who wanted to sell it.

Now after all that information you will need to read up and understand about cycling a tank without fish.

Yeah I have read up on cycling at tank but there are a few different methods out there. Some say leave it with the live rocks and others say drop a dead shrimp in there. I'm little confused as it is salt water. I'm quite use to freshwater set ups

The bacteria needs a source of ammonia either a dead shrimp or pure ammonia to start it. Live rock will have a certain amount of die off to cause the cycle to begin. I find using a dead shrimp is the easiest way. I usually get my rock from someone taking down a tank and throw in a piece of shrimp so my cycle usually takes only a couple of weeks, I also stock very slowly.

A ok. Well the lfs guy told me about a product that help produce bacteria, does do the same job as a live rock or shrimp?

Also, you mention I used get a 20 gal tank, but I've read that if I was only going to have just the fish I could use a 10 gal. The fish that I'm getting have been paired for awhile. But I'm sure the store doesn't have them in even a 10 tank. I'm not to sure as I wasn't paying attention to the tank.

I live in a once active volcanic area. So I have lots of rocks in the area. Could I possible use one of those rock (after washing it of course) to help support the growth of bacteria.

no. volcanic rock has too much heavy metals that leach into the water over time. you need calcium based rock- ocean rock.
i would buy a 30 gallon tank and you do not need an anemone for clown fish either.

Righto then. What is the difference between the live rock and volcanic? As they look similar (apart from the bacteria on the live rock)?

I've looked into it, I might consider a nano reef for just the two clownfish. But still researching at the moment

The bottle bacteria is a waste of money unless it has something for slime coat in it and you use it when you add fish. When a fish is netted it damages the slime coat and that is one reason they die. I use something for slime coat when ever I have to net a fish which is rarely most of my fish are easily caught with a cup or my hand.

You have to consider you will have 2 fish of neutral sex one will become female and rather large, the other one will remain smaller and will be bullied. That is why it is better to have a tank that is to large than one not large enough. My clown fish is 2 years old and about 3 inches I wouldn't feel right putting it in a 10 gallon tank even by itself.

Back
Top Bottom