New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flores.josue50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a saltwater tank. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. What will I need and where can I buy it. I want a sump but I noticed I would need a pump but I have no clue how it works or where it would connect. What else would I need for a saltwater tank?

You don't need a canister if you have a sump - google DIY sumps it should give you all the info you need. Basically you will need to either drill the tank ( if it's not already) or you can buy a hob overflow to drain into the sump, then a return pump to get the water back into the display. Sumps are great because you can put you water and skimmer in there and out of the display, they can include a refugium where you can grow macro algae too. You will still need some flow in the tank and depending if you want reef or fish only the lighting will need to be researched too. Do you know what you want to keep? Check out liveaquaria.com for fish selections, tank size and compatibility.

its a lot more coast effective to make your own sump. like bectan said google diy sumps and it will save you a lot of money rather then paying a ton of money for garbage.. very easy to build

before you start to cycle your tank get the sump if you can.. I tried a canister when I first got into the hobby and it was nothing but a head ache. if you decide to keep your canister make sure you change out your floss pads once a week, carbon pads once every two weeks, bio pads once every two months

Back
Top Bottom