New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukac123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I’m starting up a clownfish tank. I kinda have a list of what I need but I need to know what brand and type is the best. I’m starting a 30 gallon tank

Live sand
Dry rock
Wave maker
Aquarium test kit
Hydrometer for specific gravity 1.022-1.026
Stand Alone Titanium Heater
Protein skimmer (optional)
Frozen food
Algae Magnet
Conditioner
Cleanup crew
Long gloves
Nitrate Reducing pads
Quarantine Tank

Is this a good list of stuff? What are the best brands of each item?

You’ll want an rodi machine for making water for the tank to help keep algae down. What do you mean by clownfish tank? Like just clownfish only? Or will you have corals and other fish as well?

Fish only and my local pet store had Rodi water I’m gonna use

Live sand - I used oceanic

Dry rock - Any

Wave maker - Hydor or better

Aquarium test kit - saltwater basic API kit would work for you

Hydrometer for specific gravity 1.022-1.026 - basic hydrometer any

Stand Alone Titanium Heater - be sure to get a heater with adjustable thermostat

Protein skimmer (optional) N/A your application

Frozen food - Hikari or San Fransisco

Algae Magnet - Mag-float

Conditioner - N/A

Cleanup crew - snails and hermits (reef cleaners)

Long gloves - Any

Nitrate Reducing pads - Any

Quarantine Tank - 10g Any

Last edited:
A refractometer will ensure that you will have accurate salinity readings.
You will want a protein skimmer as it will remove gunk from the water column along with your weekly 10% water changes.
You won’t need a water conditioner. Tap water causes issues in saltwater setups. You’ll want to use ro/do water, which you can make your own or maybe buy from your LFS. This will also mean you won’t need nitrate pads as it’ll be managed with the skimmer, water changes, and 0 tds water.
As for the QT tank, you won’t need one really. If you want a clownfish tank, you will only be able to House two in a system due to aggression. They can be the first and last put into the tank in one simple swing.

Okay. And I’m assuming i won’t really need a canister filter

So I’m fine with live sand and live rock and a protein skimmer

Yup! Just go easy on feedings and avoid over stocking, thefeeding will be the nail in the algae coffin if you go over.

Okay thanks! What is the best protein skimmer you recommend

I have a in sump reef octopus, i run it on a wet skim a pull out a liter of nasty looking black stuff every few weeks.
Reef octopus are expensive but I like mine, I also have a eshopes in sump skimmer (long story, went to pick my tank up and they gave my a steal on the octopus so went with it) .

You'll have to look for a hang on skimmer and I'm not very experience with them cause the only reef tank I've ever ran with out a sump was a 10g nano and it didn't need a skimmer

Back
Top Bottom