New to site and aquariums...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joschac2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all... MY name is Josh and I just bought a five gallon take for my son because he has been hounding me for a fish tank. I have never taken care of a tank nor do I know the do's and dont's.. so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I did use an additive to stablize the tap water that was used. My wife brought home about 10 goldfish from a wedding and put them in... my first guess is that was way to many fish... and know its day 3 and my water is getting pretty cloudy. I did see on the internet that goldfish should not be in a 5 gallon tank.. not even one. so I ask what type of fish are suitable this tank? and how many? thanks in advance for the advice/knowledge.

Hello all... MY name is Josh and I just bought a five gallon take for my son because he has been hounding me for a fish tank. I have never taken care of a tank nor do I know the do's and dont's.. so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I did use an additive to stablize the tap water that was used. My wife brought home about 10 goldfish from a wedding and put them in... my first guess is that was way to many fish... and know its day 3 and my water is getting pretty cloudy. I did see on the internet that goldfish should not be in a 5 gallon tank.. not even one. so I ask what type of fish are suitable this tank? and how many? thanks in advance for the advice/knowledge.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Just about the only fish suitable for a 5 gal is small betta and even that's a bit small. Maybe more like some snails or shrimp. However ... if you could go up to a 10 gal ... you'd have a few more options.

One goldfish by itself requires a 20 gal ... then 10 gal each additional. They are very messy fish with large bio-loads for their size.

Thanks for the advice..
yeah that is what seems to be the story... I keep looking around and everyone says 5G is to small... looks like Im gonna have to spring for a bigger tank.... what is a good size to support approx 5-7 fish? smaller fish that is.

Ah ...now the question is ... are you looking to keep goldfish? If so ... for 5 goldfish your looking at a 60 gallon at least. "common" goldfish can grow up to a foot I believe. Fancy goldfish can also get several inches large ... that and the large bio-loads is why you need large tanks with really good filtration.

If your willing to switch to tropical fish ... your looking at a 20 gal al least to have 5-7 fish ... molly's or platty's. IMO a 10 gal is really only suitable for a male betta, shrimp, snails and or to serve as a hospital QT tank.

as I keep reading your correct! 60G tank is what i would need.... :(
I would love some tropical fish. the only reason i HAVE GOLD FISH IS BECAUSE OF THE WEDDING THAT MY WIFE WENT TO... (**** caps locked lol) they were decorations and she brought them home when i told her i bought a tank.. hahahah.. A 20G is about all i have the room for so switching to the fish you metioned seems to make some sence in order to keep the amopunt of fish I would like. Ill prolly keep the 5G and try to put 1 Betta and a snail inside. This will keep my son happy untill I can do some more research and purchase the equipment I will need. I guess my next step is to learn propper setup and water treatment... and while tank is stabilizing then learn the fish! I think thats a good procedure..:lol: Thank you very much for your input! I will be visiting the site often for more advice and to post pictures as i continue to learn and progress with this hobby!

Back
Top Bottom