new to the fish world and loving it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
my name is paul from hull england !! recieved a 40 litre starter kit for christmas as a family thing had it set up since 28 dec 2010 now have two mikey mouse platys (cute little things)very excited about the whole idea just waiting is the hardest thing. feeding is the only thing i'm having trouble with getting lots of conflicting info so help would be nice !!

Hi! I'm still learning too, but fish don't need much food. Their tummies are as big as their eyes! So tiny bits, and not even daily. Also, less food=less poop, which is less you have to clean. Is the tank cycled? Congrats on your new hobby!

Just wait till you get multiple tank syndrome!

Regarding the food, what are you feeding them and what exactly is the problem? are they not eating? water turning cloudy? I don't know if you can get it in england but here in the US there is a fish food by hikari for small fish, like tetras, it's really small pellets that fits into their mouths maybe that would help.

Welcome to the hobby but beware it's addictive =)

Welcome to fishkeeping, and congratulations on your fishes! Platies are sweet little guys. If you have a male/female pair, you may have little fishes soon!

I am echoing dora'sfishtank in asking what you did to cycle your aquarium. Many people get very bad advice from their fish stores, so it would help if you explain exactly what you did to get it ready for fish....just to rule out problems from the start.

Did you have specific questions about feeding?

I love to hear people so happy about their aquariums. :) If you ever want to post a picture, we'd love to see it!

Welcome to AA!

Glad you got in to the hobby! Like XimeD said, MTS (Multiple tank syndrome) should kick in, Before you know it, You will have 10 aquariums :)

About the feed, what exactly is the problem? Do they eat? Having a hard time eating the food? What do you feed them?

Tyler

hi all thanx for response !
tank turned on tues 28 dec 2010on for roughly two weeks b 4 fish added on sun 9 jan 2011, some liquid bacteria added to noodles and tank! fish food is aqua one tropical flakes, tank water is clear!! two females one is possably pregnant she apearso be getting fat defo changed apperance since purchasing! both eating well one seems to bully other, the possible prego bullying the other one ! taking it slowly first want to get more fish b 4 thinking of other tanks year or more !!

XimeD said:
Just wait till you get multiple tank syndrome!

Regarding the food, what are you feeding them and what exactly is the problem? are they not eating? water turning cloudy? I don't know if you can get it in england but here in the US there is a fish food by hikari for small fish, like tetras, it's really small pellets that fits into their mouths maybe that would help.

Welcome to the hobby but beware it's addictive =)

You ain't never lie like once you buy one tank you just want to buy more and more

hi all thanx for response !
tank turned on tues 28 dec 2010on for roughly two weeks b 4 fish added on sun 9 jan 2011, some liquid bacteria added to noodles and tank! fish food is aqua one tropical flakes, tank water is clear!! two females one is possably pregnant she apearso be getting fat defo changed apperance since purchasing! both eating well one seems to bully other, the possible prego bullying the other one ! taking it slowly first want to get more fish b 4 thinking of other tanks year or more !!

If your tank was running for 2 weeks and you added bacteria (which a lot of people will say are useless and I will not get into brands etc, I personally think it's hit or miss) but you added no ammonia source then your tank is likely not cycled yet. Also, if you added the bacteria and the fish on the same day then your tank is cycling now starting from the day you added the fish+bacteria (again assuming you did not add an ammonia source while you had no fish - if you did ignore everything I just said) Let us know what you did and we will be able to help.

Regarding the bullying, I haven't kept platys myself but I would say some degree of bullying is common while feeding between fish in general, even community and particularly if there is one that decides to take on the "alpha" role. Feeding a pinch at each end of the tank or sprinkling over the length of tank can help. Things to watch for is that the bullied fish is getting enough to eat and that there are no signs of significant stress. Other than that I hope some platy owners in this forum can give you more specific advice I am by no means an expert this is JMO.

Anyway, here are a couple of threads that I thought might help, I really like the one about newbie pitfalls who isn't guilty of at least one of those :rolleyes:?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/common-newbie-pitfalls-67468.html

Keep us posted :D

Sorry just read my posts back and I didnt really make myself clear!
We added the bacteria before the fish to try and help the water be ready for fish but like you say, dont think it did much really!
When we tested after 7 days of setting the tank up the reading on nitrites was 0.5 so we added bacteria, plants etc and tested the following week, nitrites were between 0.25 and 0.5 so the fish centre recommend a couple of hardy fish to 'help' our water, the fish have been in a week today and they seem happy, swimming and eating happily. Water is quite clear too.
The first problem I mentioned about feeding trouble is basically how much and how often! At the moment we feed a pinch of flakes daily and blood worms once a week, we think one of them is pregnant too :)
THank you for your replies!

Here is some pics!
img_1197566_0_9cf05b055f79bd1931c7c804a03c6667.jpg

img_1197566_1_0467320a36cfaa8da783ea283922a831.jpg

img_1197566_2_73966906fa08d24fd21017c87740c2ff.jpg

Nice tank!

About the amount and frequency of feedings. From what you said and since you have nitrites I think it is safe to assume your tank is cycling, this is what I would do (again this is JMO - like theysaid in that newbie pitfall thread take everyone's advice with a grain a salt and always get more opinions)

Feeding:
-More food = more waste
-While you're cycling, your tank can't handle much waste so less feeding is better.
-I would feed every other day or even one day yes, two days no while cycling. You can balance this with the frequency at which you do your PWCs. If you need to do 2 PWCs per day to keep your ammonia/nitrites below 0.25ppm then you are feeding too much and should feed less.
- As a general rule and without going to extremes of course, it is better to keep your fish slightly underfed than to overfeed. What I mean is that it is better to err on the side of caution.
-As your tank cycles you can increase the frequency of feedings. Personally, I like to feed "well" (I'll explain) one day and lightly the next day and so on.
-What I mean by feeding well: you may come across the rule that you should feed what your fish can consume in 5 minutes (or 3 minutes depending on where your read it). I found this hard to judge when I was starting, so I look at how vigorously the fish are eating. I feed little amounts at a time until the fish start to eat slower and their bellies barely start to round.
- The bloodworms once a week are a good idea, feeding your fish a varied diet to suit their needs is always a good thing. Platys are omnivores so the bloodworms are their meat.

While cycling:
- Do as many PWCs as needed to keep you ammonia and nitrites below 0.25ppm and towards the end your nitrates below 40ppm (some conservative people, like myself, will say below 20ppm - there is no such thing as too many PWCs)

Sorry for the novel but I hope it helps =)

I saw some live plants in there and one if it is live is a non aquatic plant. It will slowly rot and put ammonia into the tank. Cool platys BTW. and tank good job!

There are three plants in there, they are cut as apposed to in pots, two of them are the same in slightly different colour's which are front right, middle behind cannon and the third is to the left ! Thanks for your comments about the tank, we want to give our freinds as near natural as poss didn't like the idea of the stick on back drops, we intend to get some more plants as time goes on but planted! what sort of plants would be approprate ? any recomendations ?
cheers
paul

Back
Top Bottom