New to the Hobby: Setup and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Everybody, I'm new to the hobby, and I'm Getting my Aquarium very soon. I've done plenty of Research but i still have a few questions that need answering, mostly about Specific fish. I Can only afford a 30 Gallon tank at the moment, so im stuck with a low diversity.

I've deicded to go with a fishless cycling after reading the many benefits of it, and the survivability of the fish increases. I dont have a friend with a tank, so i cant really get stuff from them to seed my tank. What is better for begining the cycle, using fish food or pure ammonia? And how long will it take without being able to Seed the tank with bacteria?

As for the fish themselves, I plan on getting (5) Red Tetras, (5)Glowlight Tetras, an Otocinclus or two. My next question is: my Girlfriend wants to have a Betta in the tank (she thinks there cute). However i've heard they can get aggresive toward long tailed fish, and other fish tend to nip at them. Would a Betta be comptatible with the other fish i've listed? If they arent, Would a few Guppys instead of the Betta be good?

Ziggs180 said:
Hello Everybody, I'm new to the hobby, and I'm Getting my Aquarium very soon. I've done plenty of Research but i still have a few questions that need answering, mostly about Specific fish. I Can only afford a 30 Gallon tank at the moment, so im stuck with a low diversity.

I've deicded to go with a fishless cycling after reading the many benefits of it, and the survivability of the fish increases. I dont have a friend with a tank, so i cant really get stuff from them to seed my tank. What is better for begining the cycle, using fish food or pure ammonia? And how long will it take without being able to Seed the tank with bacteria?

As for the fish themselves, I plan on getting (5) Red Tetras, (5)Glowlight Tetras, an Otocinclus or two. My next question is: my Girlfriend wants to have a Betta in the tank (she thinks there cute). However i've heard they can get aggresive toward long tailed fish, and other fish tend to nip at them. Would a Betta be comptatible with the other fish i've listed? If they arent, Would a few Guppys instead of the Betta be good?

Nice! Check out the article my friend Eco23 wrote using research we did and he compiled. It is a fun read and will answer all your questions about fishless cycling. A link is included in my signature for your use. Welcome to AA and let us know what we can do to assist you. If you start another thread in the freshwater forum in the getting started section, specific questions will be seen by more aquarists about your specific fish questions.

Last edited:
Pure ammonia or food both would work, the food would just take a while to break down into ammonia. Raw shrimp is also an option for you. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to months. As for the betta, you could be lucky and buy a nice one, but most times bettas can kill the tetras. If you still want to try it, buy the biggest neons you can find, and add them to the tank first. Add your betta a few weeks later, and keep a close eye on him for the next half hour or so. The minute he attacks your fish, take him out. Guppies would be a great alternative.

Fixed a few typos in my original post...Sorry my brain works faster than my fingers..

Stay away from the cycle additives. They create very unstable beneficial bacteria. Trust me.

i would think a betta would work with that stocking. if you do a female, it will be less likely to kill or be killed, but males work too. it also helps to add the betta last, so the betta doesn't have a territory to defend.

The betta could work, with the stock you've indicated. However, you'll have to keep an eye on him at first, and choose someone mellow when you buy him.

Thanks for the article Deckape, its a good read. and by the way, im pretty sure this thread is in the ''getting started'' section lol.

As for the fish, I actually might get the long finned red Tetra instead. Would this change how the Betta reacts toward it? and is there a way to see which Betta is ''nicer'' at the store?

Additionally i found a good deal for a 40 gallon tank, so if i were to get that, i may stock it with Glowfish as well.

long fluffy fins invite nips and aggression, but I've not looked at that particular tetra so the answer is a general rule, rather than a firm no. The longer and more pretty the tail the more likely your betta or other fish or going to play with it at the very least or you betta seeing the other fish as a threat at worst.

Ziggs180 said:
Thanks for the article Deckape, its a good read. and by the way, im pretty sure this thread is in the ''getting started'' section lol.

As for the fish, I actually might get the long finned red Tetra instead. Would this change how the Betta reacts toward it? and is there a way to see which Betta is ''nicer'' at the store?

Additionally i found a good deal for a 40 gallon tank, so if i were to get that, i may stock it with Glowfish as well.

i doubt the betta will go for the tetras... they're just too quick for them. when it comes to picking out a good one... make sure its not flaring at the other bettas through it's container, and hope for the best.

I use the app so I get confused as to what section I am actually in sometimes. Glad to help

Been doing some Research, but i cant seem to come to decisive conclusion. I've seen Arguments for Gravel or Sand, but would it be a good idea to mix gravel and sand in one tank? or would that cause higher maitenance or stress on the fish

Ziggs180 said:
Been doing some Research, but i cant seem to come to decisive conclusion. I've seen Arguments for Gravel or Sand, but would it be a good idea to mix gravel and sand in one tank? or would that cause higher maitenance or stress on the fish

It wouldn't really make a difference, no harm would be done, it's your preference. But what I believe might happen is if you vacuum the substrate, eventually the sand will settle on top of the gravel, separating the two layers

Back
Top Bottom