New to the Saltwater world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryDory

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I've got a 38 gallon tank with live rock 2 leopard snails a strawberry fish small yellow black striped tang maroon clown and green chriom.... Now my tank was running with just the rock and sand for 2 weeks and all was fine with all levels, I added a couple fish waited 2 weeks then added another and waited a couple weeks, then last night we added the tang and the strawberry.... Levels again are perfect. Now this morning tang and berry have white salt grain sized spots!!!

What on earth caused that? Is it ick, or is it stress related?

I think I'm more stressed then my fish right now and I don't know what to do...

You have a tang in a 38 gallon? That would surely cause him to stress!!! And that seems like a lot going on in a short time.

You most likely arent fully cycled if you only had it running 2 weeks. :-(

I also agree about the tang, a smaller tank can definitely add to the stress of going into a new tank.

If it's ich now is the time to catch it and treat in order to save the fish. The tang should go back to the store and you can treat the remaining fish.

Ok so I've got a 38 gallon tank with live rock 2 leopard snails a strawberry fish small yellow black striped tang maroon clown and green chriom.... Now my tank was running with just the rock and sand for 2 weeks and all was fine with all levels, I added a couple fish waited 2 weeks then added another and waited a couple weeks, then last night we added the tang and the strawberry.... Levels again are perfect. Now this morning tang and berry have white salt grain sized spots!!!

What on earth caused that? Is it ick, or is it stress related?

I think I'm more stressed then my fish right now and I don't know what to do...

Your tank is still cycling that's your problem. Now what you think will happen when the ammonia spikes you will kill those fishes that's why it's said not to rush in this hobby. It's not right or good for the fishes take them out of there homes to put them in a tank just to kill them.
Sorry to say this post made me mad. I feel for those fishes.

Your tank is still cycling that's your problem. Now what you think will happen when the ammonia spikes you will kill those fishes that's why it's said not to rush in this hobby. It's not right or good for the fishes take them out of there homes to put them in a tank just to kill them.
Sorry to say this post made me mad. I feel for those fishes.

I would have to agree with this post. The tang has spots because it is stress due to some poor water conditions and low swimming room. Best bet would prob be to try and get credit for the fish. If you really must have a fish I would suggest getting a damsel of some kind and use that to help cycle the tank fully. However still watch the tank fully. Once you are getting 0 readings across the board then trade the damsel in and start with the clown. However if you do have ich in your system I would strongly suggest going fish less and let the tank cycle by itself. Ich can't live with out a host. I know having a marine tank makes you get excited everyone will agree with that! However, running instead of walking in this hobby will result with nothing good. Trust me I was the same way when I started reefing and screwed myself twice big time.

Also you may want to invest some money into a QT tank of some sorts. This will allow you to keep disease out of your display tank by observing the fish for a weeks before dropping them in. ? Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom