New to the website and needing lots of help! :s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hiya,
I've just joined this website hoping to get some advice for my 2 fish tanks, one tropical, one coldwater.
Basically I have one small coldwater tank, literally a starter tank with what I'm assuming is the basic filter, set up for my 2 year old daughter who likes fish. It contains one of the small black moore and one small oranda (or something similar) which I've had for a while. I purchased a small hillstream loach (sold as a hongkong butterfly plec) about 2 months ago and as far as I was aware he was fine to go in this tank with no extra specific care than my goldfish (bloody useless shop). Well I've been looking them up lately and hillstream loaches need so much more care and a completely different tank set up to what I was told so obviously now I'm desperate trying to sort things out for him.

My other tank is about 48 litres with a bigger filter and heater and has been set up for around 2 months, with 5 male guppies which I put in about 2 weeks ago to see how they get on before adding anymore fish.

I'm getting a new tank at the weekened off of my sister, not completely sure off the size but roughly 100 litres so a lot bigger than what I have and am hoping to upsize both tanks. My goldfish + loach will go in my 48 litre tank which will become cold water and my guppies go in the new tank. My first question is how can I change the tanks over safely but as quickly as possible? Do I need to leave the 100 litre tank for a month to filter and adjust temperature or is there a quicker was of doing this ie using the water that they're currently in and just topping it up etc. Same question for transfering the goldfish and loach into the 48 litre tank. I'm new to all this (other than goldfish keeping which used to be a lot easier) so please explain in idiot proof terms lol.

Also, I desperately want to help my little loach and have heard they need very oxagenated water with a stronger current. At the minute the tank only has a filter and I added a bubble wall last night which he seems a bit happier with until I can get something better. So what can I put in the new bigger tank to help him? I've heard of powerheads but don't know what these do or what size I'd need? Plus he will be in with my small black moore etc so will they be able to cope with that? I cannot afford to buy another tank or have more than 2/3 (one being the tiny starter tank which is useless though so was going to take down).

Sorry for such a long post, please help. Laura x

Welcome to the site! I do not know anything about your loach but if you use the tankwater from the tank the goldfish and loach are currently in and put it in the new tank then the new tank will be instantly cycled. Throw the media from the old filter into the new one for a week and you should have a fully cycled tank.

Thanks for the reply :) so if I put all the water from their current tank into their new tank and then just top it up with tapwater and add tap safe etc they'll be able to go in It after a week? I'm assuming with the tropicals even if I add all of their current water and fill the other half with tap water ill still have to leave it for a while to heat and filter? I just wanna make sure they're all healthy and happy but want to get my loach and goldfish out of that small tank as soon as possible

Welcome to AA.

First, there is NO appreciable amount of nitrifying bacteria in the water column. Using water from some other tank will do absolutely nothing for you except create more work.
Take a look in the sticky section of the 'Getting Started' forum for info on how to "cycle" a tank.

Your Goldfish alone will need a 30 gallon tank all to theirselves and possibly bigger in the future. If you add the Loach the tank needs to be even bigger, 40 gallons or bigger.

If you are going to keep these fish in such small quarters be prepared to do PWCs just about daily to keep them healthy.

Do you have a good test kit? You will need to know where the level of ammonia and nitrite is at daily for a while.

Reactions: jlk
Thanks ill have a look.
My goldfish are tiny, about an inch plus tail each and my loach is only about 2 inchs. They're all only tiny. Unless my converter is wrong you're saying I need over 100 litre tank? That seems huge for the fish I have. I've had the black moore for nearly a year ands its stayed the same size.

Can you recommend a good test kit?

Sorry not sure if it was clear, I haven't got the big fancy goldfish. I have the small version. How do I upload pictures to here?

Thanks ill have a look.
My goldfish are tiny, about an inch plus tail each and my loach is only about 2 inchs. They're all only tiny. Unless my converter is wrong you're saying I need over 100 litre tank? That seems huge for the fish I have. I've had the black moore for nearly a year ands its stayed the same size.

Can you recommend a good test kit?

The API Master Test Kit is a decent kit while being inexpensive. It contains all the tests you will need.

Goldfish produce a huge amount of waste. The more water you have the better the water quality will be.

The first year is a major growing time for most fish. It is possible that the little guy is stunted from being kept in a small tank.

I really hate to have to tell you this stuff but it is the truth. Contact JLK, she is a Goldfish Guru and will be happy to help you with any questions you have.

Sorry not sure if it was clear, I haven't got the big fancy goldfish. I have the small version. How do I upload pictures to here?

Sorry, there is no small version, all Goldfish get big. Fancies not nearly as big as Commons and such, but big none the less.

I have to agree with Blert. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a 'small version' of goldfish. All goldfish grow large (as in 8-12+in) with some breeds growing much larger. The world record holding fancy is an oranda thats over 15inches. If your goldies have not grown in the past year, then you need to take immediate steps to remedy their tank situation.

Exactly how big is your small tank? I would move the goldfish along with your old filter media to the 100l. Granted, at 26g this is still pushing things but its better than 48l/12g or however small their little tank is.

Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? This really is a must especially with setting up a new tank and moving fish around.

Heres some more info on goldfish and their care- please ask any questions you may have or if your unsure about anything!!! :)

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Sorry I've clearly been given the complete wrong information when buying my fish :( I definitely need to get them out of my tank and into something bigger but if I put them 3 in the. 100 litre then it means my 5 guppies have to stay in the 48 litre for now. Could someone tell me how to upload photos from my blackberry please? I've not got a test kit but was going to either order the one that blert recommended or have a look at pets at home when I'm there tomorrow x

Okay if I move my little goldfish and loach into the 100 and something litre tank asap then will my 5 guppies be okay in the 48 litre tank until I can buy something bigger aslong as I don't add any other fish until then?

Also, what are peoples thoughts on buying a second hand fish tank? Is that okay as long as I clean it all out a lot obviously?

I think the guppies will be ok in the 48l but I am not a guppy expert. Moving the goldies to a bigger home is vital though. In respect to pics, I dont have a blackberry but did you download the free AA app? On my cell, the app has a little '+' sign on the top on the page when you hit 'reply to thread' button (the little arrow). If you hit the + sign, you can upload pics from your cell library. Hope this helps! :)

Also, what are peoples thoughts on buying a second hand fish tank? Is that okay as long as I clean it all out a lot obviously?

Perfectly fine as long as its an aquarium and not a terrarium (meant to keep reptiles). You will want to check the silicone seals and do a water holding test to make sure it doesnt leak. I think almost everyone on here has atleast one used tank (myself included)!! :)

My guppies seem happy enough, the person I got the tank from had a lot more fish in that tank so I'm hoping they'll be okay until I can get something bigger. Oh thanks didn't know about the app, ill download now :) I'm going to see If I can get the 100 litre tank off of my sister tonight or asap so I can get my goldies and loach out of that horrible little tank :( you don't realise how much crap the shops tell you until you really look into it. I feel bad but I honestly had no idea about fish/tank sizes. Like I say I've only just got more serious about fish keeping and now I just wanna help them before its too late :( what size would you recommend for 2 (currently) small goldies and a loach which apparently doesn't grow past 3inchs ish? With regards to setting up a new tank for the goldies.. How quickly can they go in safely? Sorry for so many questions and thanks very much for the advice!x

Don't feel bad. Most of the LFSs will give you bad advice, they want to sell you stuff and that is the bottom line (pun intended ;) ). Never rely on them for advice, always do your own research online before you buy. If their opinions match what you have found to be correct then you can consider trusting them for advice.

If it t'were me, I would want at least a 40 gallon (152 liter) for those three fish. I have two Fancy Goldfish in a 37 gallon and they are getting so big that I am considering setting back up one of my 40b tanks (45 gallons) just for them.

Used tanks can be just fine. Make sure to have the seller fill it with water so you can inspect it before any money changes hands. If they refuse then walk away. Look for scratches, cracks, leaks, chips, dings and take a good look at the silicone joints (if it is a glass tank).

Unfortunately, we all have been the victim of horrible advice from the lfs at point or another. As Blert stated quite well :))), do your own research and ask lots of questions before considering anything they may have to offer. There are some knowledgable employees and lfs out there but its been my experience that they are few and far between.

In respect to moving these guys to a new tank, start by getting yourself a test kit first so you can see what the numbers are for your tap water & tank water. If your numbers are drastically different (mainly ph), you should take the time to drip acclimate them to their new tank and water. Make sure you have a good water conditioner (if you dont already) and that you temperature match their new tank water to their old tank water. The most important thing will be moving your old filter media to the new tanks filter- this will help seed the new tank & filter with good bacteria. Then, you will need to test daily for any possible spikes in toxins (ammonia & nitrite) and do water changes if you see any until your tank is established. I am probaly forgetting something but these are the basics.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle & the cycling process? If not, please let us know and we can help! Understanding this is pretty important to keeping a happy and healthy tank. :)

Thank you very much for your replies. They're really helping. No I'm not familiar with the nitrogen cycle and cycling process. I knew I had to leave my tank for a while before putting fish in for the temperature to regulate and the water to be filtered etc but not much else :s x

No problem! Ill post some articles for you to read. If you have any questions or unsure about anything, just ask!! Also, the only thing you need to make sure the temp is correct is a decent thermometer. Check the tank temp & match any new water to the tank temp (use hot & cold tap water for this) for water changes.

Simply, the nitrogen cycle is must for a healthy tank. Your fish produce ammonia (toxic). Beneficial (nitrifying) bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrite (toxic). Then a second set of bacteria convert the nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is not as toxic but it needs to be controlled by doing regular water changes. ideally, you want to keep nitrate under 20ppm. For a moor, you really should keep it lower (under 10ppm) because nitrates will burn his delicate eyes. So, it goes amm>nitrite>nitrate. Thats the nitrogen cycle. When a tank is 'cycling', its in the process of developing its good bacteria. Your test kit is used to monitor your levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Oh thank you :D I'm reading it all now. That's really helpful, I had no idea about any of this stuff! :s x

Back
Top Bottom