New to the whole fish thing!!! But excited to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for all the question just want to make sure I am giving proper care.

I got a heater last night, and was just wondering ifI am suppose to let it run 24 hours a day or how long? should I put it on a timer? or just turn it on at night or what????

Velksfish said:
Sorry for all the question just want to make sure I am giving proper care.

I got a heater last night, and was just wondering ifI am suppose to let it run 24 hours a day or how long? should I put it on a timer? or just turn it on at night or what????

Run it 24 hrs a day it will turn on and off itself to regulate the temp

Velksfish said:
BlaseMrNiceguy is there any special food or anything I am suppose to be feeding him???

I've had many African frogs they eat pretty much anything shrimp pellets, flakes, blood worms you name it he'll prob eat it and just so you know they get big prob to big for the 5.5 gal tank and they do eat fish that will fit in their mouth so any little tetras or anything will become lunch

Jesselav1233 I am adding dechlorinater to the water... And good to know about the Frog .... THANKS

any suggest of what else I could put in my tank....???? I have a Mollie and the frog

my tanks is filtered, heated, and has an air pump

Maybe something like a few fancy guppies they have very beautiful colors and stay small and don't require many of the same species since they don't school together.

Jesselav1233 said:
Maybe something like a few fancy guppies they have very beautiful colors and stay small and don't require many of the same species since they don't school together.

But the Molly needs a bigger tank before anything

emerald76 said:
But the Molly needs a bigger tank before anything

Yeah and the frog :/ really sucks that fish stores give such horrible advice I don't know maybe the frog would be okay In the 5 gal but anything small enough to go in there he will eat

If it was me, I would take the Molly and frog back. I have been in this situation my first tank was a 3 gallon and they told me to get 2 mollies?!? They ended up having fry and it was a huge disaster!!! And as suggested I would prolly go with what others have suggested.:)

I have gotten a good list of different types of fish I could put in my 5.5 gallon tank, now I need to know how many I could have in there for the fish to be happy, healthy and not overstocked.

I currently have a Mollie (an orange one, not sure the actual type) and a african dwarf frog in the tank already. But what else and how many could I put in the tank.

Here is a list of fish I have gotten from on here or just doing research:
Neon Tetra, Embra Tetra, Endler Livebearers, Galaxy Rosboras, Chili Rosboras, Scarlet Badis, Red Cherry Shrimp, Pygmy Corys, Shell Dweller Cichlids, Dwarf Puffer, Bumblebee Goby, Otos, Von Rio Flame Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Dwarf Gourami, Pygmy Sunfish, Guppies, Killfish, Snails, Sparkling Gourami

I know I can't fit that many fish in a 5.5 gallon tank but I have been doing some research and have found out I should be able to keep a few in the tank and keep them happy and healthy.

ADF's are nearly blind and usually need to be target fed. H&H Frog & Tadpole bites are good for them as well as other meaty foods as treats only; they can be prone to bloat so just go easy on what you feed them. Here are some links to other threads that may have some good info.

As long as you have the molly and frog, you can't really add anything else to a 5 gal (particularly an uncycled one but even if it were cycled you'd need to do some reconfiguring; the mollly should be rehomed and if you want to keep the frog in a 5 gal it needs some friends but then you wouldn't be able to fit any fish).

Back
Top Bottom