New to the world of Oscars... please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conster74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, I'm Connie, I'm in NY...

had my own aquariums since '07 or so, now up to FOUR fish tanks, the majority of them hold guppies, or platties, I'm pretty familiar with those breeds and how it works and all that, but what's in the fourth tank has me stumped.

My friend gave me an Oscar. I could just shoot myself right now for taking yet another animal from her (have had her dump two dogs on me so far, have found new homes for both, and am at least grateful that this fish won't pee on the carpet) he was in a 10 gallon at her house, I put him in my 10 gallon, I guess its normal for him to just want to chillax after all that change.

Anyway, I want to do what's best for this little guy, who isnt so little anymore, but where the #*(!$ am I going to put a 75 gallon tank in this house?:confused:

At this point I would not mind it in the least if any of you told me I need to find a more suitable home for this fellow. My intentions were honorable; I don't know what I am doing though. I would feel bad if it croaked because I dont know what I am doing. Either that or point out what I need to do to care for him properly.

Thanks,

Connie

Welcome aboard Connie. I`m sure when you post over at the FW forums someone will help. Just wanted to say Hi.

Welcome, someone on her emight even take the oscar if you are looking for a new home, a 10g is no wheres big enough for em. Maybe his food but not him.

i found a nice 55 gallon for him he is much happier now, he's like hey hey hey hey!!

i found a nice 55 gallon for him he is much happier now, he's like hey hey hey hey!!

WELCOME!!!
Is he in that 55g alone? that is about the min. for a oscar.
if you have any questions ask me, i have had alot of experience with oscars.

oh yea

he;s in there alone, seems like a lot of tank space for a mere 6 inch fish, however I read they could grow to somewhere around 18 inches... he's on cichlid pellets, with the occasional live guppy for a snack. If I'm not mistaken he's gotten BIGGER. Oh yea he needs a name. I can't think of one really.:BIG:

he;s in there alone, seems like a lot of tank space for a mere 6 inch fish, however I read they could grow to somewhere around 18 inches... he's on cichlid pellets, with the occasional live guppy for a snack. If I'm not mistaken he's gotten BIGGER. Oh yea he needs a name. I can't think of one really.:BIG:

sorry it took so long to respond, didnt see the new post :p

anyway, a oscar can live happily alone in a 55g

STOP FEEDING LIVE FOOD! IT WILL KILL HIM!
if you like watching him eat fish, then buy frozen silversides(small frozen fish you defrost and put them in(my oscars tank them from my hand))

it will kill becouse it will give him a disease called HITH (hole in the head)

as for names, i call my 3 oscars

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18377&d=1239937011

THE CREW!
(IN MIDDLE)= O.J(ALBINO OSCAR)
(ON RIGHT)= LAVA BOY(RED OSCAR)
(ON LEFT)=MUD BOY(TIGER OSCAR)

Back
Top Bottom