New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, cool. I always wondered if there'd be an interest in donating your used filter when you replace it. It would help seed a new tank, right?

joyaust said:
In regards to your question about the gourami I had one in with 2 angels and who would kno how many guppies and it was fine until he decide to commit himself got stuck between filter and glass but gorgeous easy to get along with. I am totally hearing you on watching them play I recently moved my filter so that it's aim is slightly out of the water towards the back wall and my guppies are having a blast fooling around in it. :)

I love the angels and would get one, but The Husband really likes the neons. From what I've read, they become angel food.

callisto9 said:
Jumping back in... your guppies are beautiful. I still have two of mine left. They are doing well in their 20G home. I must've missed something - what's the blue sponge for?

Thank you! Unfortunately, the beautiful red one had to be euthanized. :( I'm going to keep my eye out for another one once this tank gets cycled. The sponge is used to help seed a tank. I bought it from an online store that phish recommended. I think it will drastically cut down on the time for this fish-in cycle. The ammonia dropped almost immediately after putting it in.

phishfriend said:
I think they are great fish a bit timid but easy to keep.
Keeping and Breeding Dwarf Gouramis

The thing that worries me about them are all of the sicknesses I've heard they are susceptible to. I really like them...especially the opaline ones.

What are the benefits of a canister filter?

Right now, for the 55/65, I'm thinking along the lines of:

8 (maybe 9) guppies
10 - neons or cardinals
5 - kuhli loaches
4 - julii corys

My daughter likes the glass cats, but I don't know if I have the skills, yet. They say it's not a beginner fish.

I wanted another medium sized fish or two but can't make up my mind. I don't want both the glass cats and medium sizes fish. There wouldn't be enough room.

What are the benefits of a canister filter?

Well, your HOB are called open systems. the disadvantage with an open system is that the medium used to filter water has to be pores enough so water flows thru it not around it. So smaller waste passes thru

Canisters are closed systems. The idea is that in a closed system the water only has one way to go. So the advantage is that we can force water thru denser mediums filtering smaller particles of waste making cleaner water.

Thats the short of it with out getting to techie :cool:
canisters also have a much larger media capability with the ability to use mech, bio and chemical filtration

And remember those 8 guppies are going to be 16 sooner then you know it.

Last edited:
Great, I'll look into that Magnum then, thanks.

I've been keeping an eye out for possible mamas and I think I have two. I don't plan on doing anything special though. Is that mean? I was reading a book that said it was unethical, but in nature, they eat the babies.

That is one of my cherry shimp the yellowish mass is mass of eggs she is fanning! That was my come home and check on the tank surprise. I got.

Attachments

• image-2788784561.jpg
    image-2788784561.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 47
The thing that worries me about them are all of the sicknesses I've heard they are susceptible to. I really like them...especially the opaline ones.

I really wanted a gourami, esp a dwarf one, but I read thread after thread about their health issues. I don't want to bring home a fish that doesn't have much of a chance. Esp one so beautiful.

callisto9 said:
I love that calculator. I use it all the time to help me know what I can/can't add to my tank. Very helpful.

+1 to this. I use it as a general stoking guideline and to see what can co exist and what can't.

That's what I've been using so far. I think the ones I've picked are good matches, nothing was alerted on the site. Just the guppy ratio and that the loaches need driftwood.

I think that would be more of a concern if it were to be one of the first fish in a tank you were stocking. I say if you see one :fish2: you like and it looks healthy go for it!

I think that would be more of a concern if it were to be one of the first fish in a tank you were stocking. I say if you see one :fish2: you like and it looks healthy go for it!

We'll see how my visit to the LFS ends this weekend. :lol: They have a few gouramis there.

If you could buy whatever canister you wanted, with price not being an issue, what would your top 3 be? I've decided to stick with the 55 and just swap stands. I'm going to just get the canister for Christmas and run the one that came with the kit until then. I would like one that could move up to a larger tank eventually.

Phish - would you still recommend just the Magnum?

Coco1019 said:
If you could buy whatever canister you wanted, with price not being an issue, what would your top 3 be? I've decided to stick with the 55 and just swap stands. I'm going to just get the canister for Christmas and run the one that came with the kit until then. I would like one that could move up to a larger tank eventually.

Phish - would you still recommend just the Magnum?

Well....good question. I'll answer it like this....I personally am not a huge chemical filtration user. Mechanical and biologic filtration do the job really well for me. I very rarely use any(chemical) and if I do. I usually try things found in the natural world first. That said, a lot of the most popular and expensive canisters on the market tend to focus on their ability to do all three types of filtration "better" then brand x and the only real advantage to one or the other IMO is one may have more options for medium choices. Which is great If you use or want those features. I know that I wouldn't The only attraction is more room for ceramic. No matter what canister I got I would fill the canister with ceramic rings and let it roll. So the price difference between a mag 350 and fx5 just isn't justifiable to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom