New to town.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badandy570

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

I was inspired by my brother in law to give keeping an aquarium another try. This time I'm not foolin' around. He explained the basics to a planted aquarium and I couldn't say no!

I just got my new aquarium up and running a couple weeks ago and planted last weekend (1/19/2013). Things seem to be going well so far!

I decided to go the old fashioned route and cycle my tank with fish. I looked for an inexpensive and hardy variety and ended up with a small school of seven Fire Ring Danios. The tank has been planted with a small variety of low-light plants including anubias, a couple echinodorus, hair grass, java moss, and a couple more that I can't remember off the top of my head. They are planted in eco-complete substrate.

Things are looking good thus far. I am seeing growth already from about half of the plants, and not so much from others.

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for at the moment but here are a few random questions that I have bouncing around:

What should I expect from my plants in the weeks immediately after setting the tank up? Will they struggle at first? If I see any discoloration should I be concerned at this point?

Is the bulb that came with the Aqueon kit going to work at all? Should I just replace it? If so, suggestions? Until I do should I consider leaving the light on for longer durations or no?

I have seen a few small spots of discoloration, especially with the hair grass located in the corners (not getting enough light there maybe). Should I be dosing with a balanced liquid fertilizer at this point?

That's all I have for the moment. I'm so looking forward to seeing my tank grow and flourish. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 57
Welcome to the forum! You might get your questions answered faster if you post them in he freswater planted tank section. Good luck!

Tank looks good! I had planted tank several years ago, but I added plants to an established tank. Plants would get spots at times, but all seem to grow out and thrived.

Everything was going great til I added 3 Silver Dollars. Really cool fish, but they ate every plant in less than a week! They chopped them down like lumber jacks!

Good luck and avoid the Silver Dollars!

Thanks for the advice!

I had a couple silver dollars years back in my first tank, unplanted. Good thing you mentioned them because I had considered them for the new planted tank!

I had a couple silver dollars years back in my first tank, unplanted. Good thing you mentioned them because I had considered them for the new planted tank!

I've had great luck with Angels. Not as active as the Silver Dollars, but they look so good as they swim around tall plants!

I also think a single Beta is a great fish in a community tank. Beautiful plumage as soon as you get them out of the tiny bowls most stores use.

Back
Top Bottom