New water pump not working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a new water pump (Sedra Submersible 2000 Inline) to help me make my water changes easier and it does not seem to work. I have the 3/4" tubing attached to the intake and 1/2" tubing attached to the outake as directed as it does move any water, just makes a loud low squeaking sound, I also tried it in the water, and you barely get any flow at all, do you think I have a defective pump?

First make sure there is no air in the pump as this will cause cavitation. Some times cycling the power on and off will cause the pump to expel any air trapped in the system. If it still won't pump then disassemble to check impeller and it's shaft.

how will I know if there is air in the pump? Also being an inline pump is it not supposed to work both in and out of water? sorry I know nothing about these pumps. I also read it has an adjustable flow, I was wondering if its on really low, but I cannot find any such thing, it dosnt even have an off/on switch.

Edit: It works under water now as a powerhead, but it still dosnt work out of water

Most pumps won't have a switch.
Can you start a siphon through the pump? That will remove most of the air. Or fill the pump and hoses with tank water before starting.
Most adjustable flow pumps use a rotating screen that opens and closes intake vents.

I think I figured it out, I was expecting the intake to be able to syphon water upwards out of the bucket and water line via a 3/4" hose and into the pump on the ground, and then back out the outake and again up and over into the tank, where I think the intake has to be submerged or the water being gravity fed to it, the outake is the only one that can pump water upwards correct?

Back
Top Bottom