New with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm new to the forum and tanks all together. I am *fostering* a 10 gallon established tank from family right now. I wanted to add 2 new fish as there were only 4 small ones in the original tank. A molly, a danio, and 2 small chinese albino algae eaters - 1 who hides inside a decorative rock and I never see. SO... New fish. A sable angle fish and a gourami - both the most passive at the store according to my fish guy (small retailer). Brought home the new fish and the Molly started attacking the gourami.

At the advice of a friend, I immediately put the molly in a breeders net (bought from Petco) to protect the gourami (but not until the gourami had a hole in its fin). Hopes were that the molly would chill out a bit... Didn't work even after 4 days he was still bashing up against the netting when the gourami swam by. I decided to add a second tank and then go brackish with the 10 gallon once the second tank was up and going.

Unfortunately, no one mentioned that I needed to cycle the 36 gallon bow front tank. BUT I didn't think molly would appreciate being stuck in a little breeders tank for 4 weeks or so inside the 10 gallon... Plus it was taking over much of the 10 gallon tank. Being that molly and danio are hearty (from what I hear), I decided to use them to cycle the new tank (some have stated to do a fish-in cycle with hearty fish). I am using rock in a net from the 10 gallon tank and a filter from that tank too in my penguin 200 filter extra filter space...

The tank has been running for 48 hours with the rock and filter from the other tank. 2 fish are now in (molly and danio) and I tested the water just now with a good liquid kit. Ammonia at .50, nitrate and nitrite both at 0ppm. The danio seems to be having a party - acting normal (has always spent most of his time swimming at the top of the tank and is doing so now). The molly is moving from level to level on the right side of the tank (away from the filter which is much stronger than the tetra filter in the 10 gal obviously) near the fake plant I put in from the other tank. They both seemed to eat when I fed them (moderately) today. Temp is the same as the 10 gallon tank. 76.

Would ya'll put the molly back in the 10 gallon in the breeders tank and leave him there until the 36 gallon is established and I can move the rest of the fish out? OR should I keep him in the 36 gallon and cycle with him? Which is more (or less) cruel? Cycling with him or keeping him confined in a small net tank in the 10 gallon? ((sigh))

And why do even the most educated of educated pet stores NOT tell you that you will need to cycle a tank :( I would have done things differently had I known and had I known this molly fish was such a jerk!!! I think he just needs a little salt to make him happier!!!

Thank you for the help!
Janelle

Okay, rehome the mollies and take back those fish to the store. Sell those algae eaters and wait for it to cycle before adding the damio and get him in a proper school.

Uh... The Molly is the only problem WHY would I take my new fish back?? My fish retailer said he'd take the Molly off my hands SO I guess then I'll put the molly and the danio back in to the 10 gallon until the 36 gallon cycles - Molly back in to the breeder's tank until I can take him to the fish retailer for a new home which will be Friday. I do intend on getting the Danio a school. It would have been nice if he had one to begine with... Agreed. Goodbye nasty Molly...

Oh so the molly and danio were the only ones in the 36 gallon... well theres where I went wrong... but yay, the nasty molly is gone:)

Just to be clear, in the 10 gal established tank (do you know the water parameters of this tank as well, just to be sure it's established) you have:

1 Molly
1 Danio
2 CAE
1 Angel
1 Gourami

And the Angel and the Molly attacked the Gourami? If you can re-home the Molly as you said that would be best. I'm not sure of the Gourami and Angel getting along, maybe someone else can answer that.

In the meantime, re-home the Molly, keep up with testing and water changes on the 10 to keep things clean for the fish and keep an eye on them. And fishless cycle the 36 (if you're using some media from the 10 it should go fairly quickly, just make sure you don't use too much media from the 10 and throw it into a mini-cycle), then once the 36 is done you can switch up some of the fish and add to the Danios.

But someone else might have a better opinion :)

Get rid of those chinese algae eaters, they will eventually eat your fish. The angel and gourami should be fine IMO but someone else who has kept both together can answer that for you.

Okay - Yes. 1 silver Molly. 1 Danio. 2 CAE (1 is tiny the other one I never see), 1 Sable Angle, 1 Gourami. All but the Angle and the Gourami came with the tank just over a month ago (4 years established not sure of water). I added the Gourami and the Angle and the Molly attacked the Gourami immediately. So I put the molly in a breeder's tank and set out on getting a bigger tank (the 36 gallon). With Molly in the breeder's tank, angle and gourami were quite happy so it seems... My fish retailer picked these two as he found them to be the least aggresive of what he had.

The Algae Eaters don't seem to give a hoot about any of the other fish. The biggest one (about 2.5 inches) is up and inside one of the decorative rocks and hasn't come out in about 3 days that I have seen... In a larger tank, won't they even do better? But I'm not the expert.

And yes - the molly and the danio are the only two in the 36 right now. Wasn't sure if it was more cruel to have the molly in the breeder's tank or the 36 while it cycles. :O

Get rid of those chinese algae eaters, they will eventually eat your fish. The angel and gourami should be fine IMO but someone else who has kept both together can answer that for you.

^^ agree. I have a cae that I inherited with my tank. He was about 2-3" long and happy as a little sandboy. He is now 5-6" long and a complete terrorist. He chases anything and everything and I caught him trying to suck at my big rainbowfish the other day. Said rainbow soon saw him off but still..... My lfs has said that they will take him and rehome him, unfortunately that means I have to catch him first and he is faaaast!!!

Well now is the time - the big one is hiding inside that rock! I could take the whole rock, put it in the bag - CAE and all! LOL! BUT who wants him or what else to do with him??? That's the question???

If you know anyone who has African cichlids or large agressive fish that is the best way to go. CAE's grow too big, about 6-8 inches long and they are HIGHLY agressive, and not to mention they like fish's slime coats. Hence why they are kept with African cichlids or large agressive fish, they are the same.

Okay - I just tested the water on my 10 gallon tank tonight. Nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm. So I guess the tank is a bit dirty. Not surprsing I guess. The family members I got it from, I'm not sure they vaccumed it at all? I have a vaccum kit coming to me Wednesday (on order) so it shall have its turn. I think it has been neglected for much longer than the month I have had it! I have done water changes weekly not realizing I needed to vaccum! So, live and learn and keep the fish living!

Okay - I will look in to finding something to do with at least the big CAE. The little one is like an inch so he's got a way to go. Does anyone ever market fish on Craigslist? I don't have any friends with freshwater tanks.

Thanks ya'll

jmpgop said:
Okay - I will look in to finding something to do with at least the big CAE. The little one is like an inch so he's got a way to go. Does anyone ever market fish on Craigslist? I don't have any friends with freshwater tanks.

Thanks ya'll

I personally haven't done a craigslist fish sale but I know/seen plenty of them. I would put some general information about them and that they should go to an Oscar tank on the post. But I think that it would work:)

Yeah I am sure it was fish-in cycled. They have had it for probably 4 years. I don't know the whole history. They are quite *aloof* about it really... Seems pretty stable I guess?? Fish seem happy except for that mean silver molly! LOL! Okay - I will see what I can do to find the CAE a new home. He's cool to look at - I think - at least the last time I saw him anyways!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom