New yoyo flashing hard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So a while ago I prazi pro'd my tank as an initiative pre emptive attack to something that may have been there. I read it was the most non lethal and fish/plant safe med available for parasites.
Anyway my perfect yoyo loach did not survive the dosing (just one measured dose). It threw my nitrates off and did something to him and he kicked. It was actualy a pretty sad week long process for him to die. As soon as I noticed him acting funny on the 3rd day of the dose (just one dose) I started insane water changes and running carbon.
I was pretty sure after the second week the tank was empty of the meds and picked up a new yoyo loach since they are great against snails.He seemed fine for the first couple days but now everytime he is out he is scratching and flashing on everything non stop. I checked my levels and they seem fine. My nitrates were a bit high. I added a dash of prime & easy balance to possibly help reduce it a bit last night instead of opting to stir things up and stress everyone with a water change since my regular one is friday night anyway.

One thing Im worried about is all the tanks at this LFS share a system. I noticed some fish with ich. When I mentioned this to the worker there they said "oh all our fish come from these distributers with ich, we keep the water treated"
Now its not like ich is an epidemic there but I do see it time to time but its like 1 out of 200+ fish in the tanks. I know these guys being scaleless are very susceptible to ich but i see no signs on him of anything. I do use aquarium salt in the tank but I did with my other loach as well and he was fine in there until the medding.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I honestly dont have a QT tank set up.
Could it be gill flukes (one possibility I was actually dosing originally for)?

all the other fish are fine.

With all loaches I half dose any kind of treatment, prazipro is by far the safest medication but loaches can be finicky. I would say the new one probably has early stage of ich or fungus. But im not an expert

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

He's just laying lethargically right now (home on lunch). Sadly almost the same situation as when my original one started passing.
I'll keep an eye out on him

Thanks

Sent from my AOSP on HammerHead using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm it must be something else other than the prazipro. What are your levels? And what are you testing with?

Api test kit
29 gallon tank
Moderate to higher plantage
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates actually around 10+ but usually always zero
I think the prazi slightly messed with my bacteria and screwed my cycle a bit.

Like I said I added some prime and easy balance last night. Tomorrow's my usual near 40-50℅ water change.

I put some worms right in front of him and didn't even touch them. He has no visual symptoms.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mean my first one was great until about the day after the prazi treatment but it should all be out now. Even my ottos survived it

Here's a dumb thought. Could he just be stressed and depressed being solo. My first came out of a tank at the store where he was the last one and pretty grown. This one was in a tank full of other yoyos. Could this be the issue since everyone says they have to be in groups?
Id try it and get a second but don't feel like killing two in one shot

Thanks

That's very strange. Hopefully one of the more senior members will jump on this, I've never heard prazipro causing problems at regular dosage

Well prazi was the second med actually. The first week I did a dose of paraguard which basically seems like stronger stress guard but he didn't seem bothered at all by that.

Sorry actually just edited the comment prior to your response

It could be. Nothing seems wrong with the tank itself, and prazi shouldn't hurt anything unless you double dosed the tank. I mean I've soaked algae pellets in it and fed our kubotai it that way to get worms out of him

The first medication could have started something but by this point it should not be in your tank.

Just stressing me a bit but you can't win them all.
I actually bought a bunch of peacock gugeons from this same place and only one survived. Went back and basically the girl told me the rest they had kicked as well. Something must be in their system as I and they both had a guppy die off. The heat here has been unbearable and they blamed theirs on that but perhaps it's more. I know my tanks are running very hot but not boiling to them

I though about soaking some worms in it myself but read conflicting things. Any tips?

Is it flashing all the time or just certain times (like after feeding or water change)? Could be something irritating in the water which is why I was wondering if flashing at certain times.

I agree that the prazi should be pretty safe.

What's tank temp at now? Although I've had them fine with 86F to treat ich. If anything they just seemed to 'pant' more for first few days.

Well I broke down for a second yoyo thinking maybe that was it because the first one was starting to perk up. The new yoyo is just like my first. Very active and curious. The second one has taken right back to hiding and laying on his side.
On closer inspection the seconds ones eyes are almost all red.
I'm not sure if this is some kind of poisoning, as my levels are normal again, or maybe he scratched his eyes when he was flashing.
Honestly not sure if he should remain in the tank
I feel awful for it but can't figure out if it was my tank, as my other fish are fine, their tanks as this new one is fine or just bad luck for me and this poor fish.

Any tips? Should I wait it out euthanize or maybe bring him back to the store. They won't give me any credit (unless a few emploees I know are there), but at least he would be out of the tank.

Thanks

Aside red eyes there are no other marks

Sent from my AOSP on HammerHead using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't be prazipro. I just treated 5 yoyos with it.

I wish I knew more but I'm not sure what the issue is. Just that prazipro is almost certainly not the cause.
Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Can't be prazipro. I just treated 5 yoyos with it.

I wish I knew more but I'm not sure what the issue is. Just that prazipro is almost certainly not the cause.
Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

something is up, my levels are back to normal
0 amonia
0 trites
maybe 5 or so trates.

first yoyo hasnt died, but is still in bad shape and the new one just seems to swim up the glass side all day. not sure what to make of this behavior?

Im starting to wonder if this is a plausible thought process.

Ive used DIY root tabs for a while, regardless root tabs in general.

Could some of the snails have snacked on some of the fertilizer and poisoned themselves and then the loaches feasted on them?

This is boggling me to no end. Im actually going to pull my other tetra whisper filter out and running two of them in hopes better filtration might help them out as well.

so I think I may have found the mytery of my yoyo loaches.
My blue acara has become a major douche.
As I stated I noticed both my new yoyos acting wierd, Well I finally caught my acara nipping at the newest one the other day. I thought it was just curiosity as he wasnt really full on biting more that tapping with his nose.
Well last night I found the newest on the bottom with NO TAIL. I immediately set up my breeder net and put him in there. Sadly the other one seems to be missing an eye. Im not sure if I should just euthanize him or wait it out.
Kind of stressful as I am thinking it was prob this acara who stressed out my first one to death and I never even noticed it happening. The acara never attacks anything else at all so Im wondering if its because the yoyo is scaless?
I know he gobbled my neons up but I actually think they were sick and he got them as hes not super fast.
Im going to have to get this 55 set up if I plan on keeping this fish and getting more loaches. Maybe a clown, something not as small and more intimidating. I do like the loaches and they do well keeping the snails down.

I swear this acara is a gorgeous fish but dumb as a sack of bricks. He will literally swallow anything that IS NOT actual fish food. For the past week he wouldnt eat at all and had a sunken belly and swollen anus. I knew it wasnt parasites but a blockage. My assumption was the dufus swollowed a MTS and couldnt pass it. Hes fine now and eating again/

Sounds a trouble-maker! :)

Thanks for posting back - really appreciated to hear how it is all going.

I do have a small angelfish with one eye (same problem I suspect). So far it does ok and gets around fine. Been like that for several months now.

How hard is your water? GH test.
If the water isn't slightly soft acid/neutral, I'd start with that. . .
Then ensure your water is pristine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, below 30 nitrate (As close to 0 as possible).

Also worth noting, what is the difference between your tank, your supply and the stores water (from the sales tank).

I kept these fish, like most loaches they like groups.
I found 8 or more (i had 13 or so) to be good. I gave the shoal away after a few years when I moved. I started out with three, but they are better off in groups.

With heat, the warmer the water, the less oxygen it can hold. Seriously aerate your tank. . . Especially if it gets real hot!

Keeping the water treated is not preventative for the transmission of ich. It'll be on the fish and in the water, if the system contains infected fish but your purchases seem "ok" chances are the parasite is in the water.

Back
Top Bottom