Newb - and deciding on FW vs SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plainswalker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm completely new to aquariums, and I've always loved to watch my friend's saltwater tank. I've recently decided to take the plunge, but now I'm torn between SW and FW.

It's not really the expense that really worries me (but it does, too! :p), but the upkeep/maintenance. I have a somewhat busy schedule and I'm worried that I can't provide a good home for SW fish/inverts. On the other hand, FW (from what I understand) has a less intensive maintenance requirement. So, here's a question to the more experienced aquarists - how does SW maintenance compare to FW?

Additionally, if I decide to go FW, are there active/colourful fish available for a ~32gal FW set up?

Thanks all.

Welcome to the hobby and this web site. I've never kept any saltwater tanks myself but I am somewhat experienced with freshwater tanks. Since this is your first tank I would suggest going freshwater because of the maintenance concerns you mentioned. There are some very active and colorful fish available for FW setups if you decide to go that route. I suggest you do some reading on this web site (and ask more questions), go to a good local fish store (ask your friend for recommendations) and perhaps check out a book or two. My first book was "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David Boruchowitz and I still refer to it every once in a while. No matter which direction you decide to go there are a lot of different options available that can make a tank as simple or as complex as you want.

Welcome to AA! You made the right decision by asking questions before starting out. I echo Gene's comments about reading "The simple guide to FW Aquariums". I've had the good fortune to actually met David and his information and experience is excellent.

There are also tons of "sticky's" (the yellow tagged threads) in the "Getting Started" forum. Check in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom