newb to DIY - refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've built me an acrylic box for a fuge... I have two maxi 600's to go in and out of the fuge.

Problem is, even tho the tubing is equa-distant and pumps are the same (and clean), the fuge slowly looses water level to the sump..

both ph's are mounted at the same height, so I don't understand why this isn't working right.
(it's in a mock up scenario atm, so no danger for flooding or contamination etc)

Please advise ;)

edit to add relevant info -

I have a 90g with built in overflow, and a megaflow (older model) sump with bioballs.
I'm already planning on changing ot the bio balls with rubble (altho I have advanced balls <snicker> that include carbon abd cermaic so they arn't just nitrate traps). the older model mega has some serious space constraints or I'd use it as the fuge.. just isn't possible with the 1200gph return and skimmer I have.. so... add on fuge..

I can always buy a hang on fuge, but I prefer to use the materials I have on hand if at all possible, since I already paid for em.

TIA

That is weird. It could be possible that even though your ph are the same brand and size and clean that one pushes a few more gph that the other one or vice-versa. Kind of like one has more hours on it and its getting a little tired or one had something happen to it during the manufacturing process. Could you try putting a valve on the return line to even the flow out and keep water in the pump area? Maybe need to get another ph and find two that jive together. HTH

Yes, more than likely the PH's are pushing different rates. I highly doubt that you will ever find two pumps that are exactly the same. Best bet is to gravity feed this thing somehow and have only one pump. Maybe you could post some pics of your setup so we could get a better idea of what you are working with.

geez.. howabout I use my brain next time heh.

Took my box, raised it up some, cut a hole in it and siliconed in a piece of pvc pipe...water gets pumped in, goes out the pvc and back into the sump.

Trying to make it too complicated..simple stuff works wonders eh.

K eep I t S imple S tupid. Its like a mantra with me. I have to beat myself over the head with it whenever I'm building something.

Back
Top Bottom