Newbie 150 gal reef start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be cycled and you should leave the shrimp in till you get fish as an ammonia source.

2" sand bed will be fine and shouldn't become a problem. If you get lots of nassarius snails, they'll stir up the bed. Be wary of fish like engineer goby as they can rearrange rock with their digging. So If you want and big diggers, make sure rock is on glass. It's better to do a deep sand bed in your refugium so if it ever becomes a problem, you can close it off from the display. There's debate on the benefit of a fuge dsb because if surface area.

As for cleanup crew, the Norms are hermits, turbos, nassarius, astraea starfish, brittle stars. As far as quantities, no hard rule. Build them out as you go because you have a barren tank food wise.

Maybe you start with 6 hermits, 6 nassarius and 3 turbos. Wait on the stars. Remember that turbos bull doze everything so be careful with coral placement.

As for the heat situation. Get 2 300w heaters. One for backup, both in the sump. Nighttime could be a source of fluctuation and one 150 will not cut it for a 150.

To dissipate heat for this MH's, do you hav a canopy? Fans with the unit? You can always rig a couple of computer fans to blow air across the bulbs.

Can you explain what you mean by the turbos "bulldoze" everything? And where should I not put my corals? I've been reading so much on corals and fish that I know nothing of snails and the like.

Will get the extra heater. Sounds like a good idea. My light is suspended from the ceiling behind the wall (tank is in the wall) 12" above the tank. It has a fan in it that runs when the MH come on. Keeps the unit pretty cooled off.

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

They will move around and not worry about hitting rocks or anything else so are known to knock over small coral or rocks.

Edit: It is hard to type on a cell phone some times! Had to correct my grammar once on a computer :)

you will need to attach corals with epoxy or glue. That way they don't get knocked over. Nothing worse than a beautiful coral knocked over or worse, knocked to the back of the tank where you can't reach

nottooslow said:
we need pics!!!!

I know I know!! Can't find time! I promise within the week I will let you see it in all it's glory and algae.

Just did 20% WC today. All good under the hood! (Actually there is no hood, but it rhymed). Aquascaping done. Need one more perfect rock. Will look this weekend.

Will get the extra heater. Sounds like a good idea. My light is suspended from the ceiling behind the wall (tank is in the wall) 12" above the tank. It has a fan in it that runs when the MH come on. Keeps the unit pretty cooled off.

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

how big is the fan. just for reference I had 4 120mm 800 rpm fans pulling 40.17 cfm each at 10.70 dba (lots of air...not much sound) and still saw about 0.3 degree fluctuation from A.M. to P.M. on my 120 running 6 80w T5HO's my canopy dimensions were 60"long x 18"wide x 10"high which put my lights about 8 inches off the water.

Don't buy fans from an aquarium store. I got mine here and they still run strong after a year.

CG Fan Bracket 120mm Kit for (2 Hole / Bare Kit ) Multimedia Cabinet Cooling / Home Theaters
The scythe 800 rpm fans are the best and you will need to add a power supply.

So what's a bad fluctuation in temp from a.m. to p.m.? How much is too much?

So what's a bad fluctuation in temp from a.m. to p.m.? How much is too much?

I like to keep it as close to 78 as possible. I don't think 1 degree would be that big of a deal but I wouldn't try more than that. Like I said. Mine runs about 0.3 degrees on a warm spring day (75-80) with no AC running in the house

Ok, now you all can get off my back about the pics!! LOL! The CUC is doing awesome so far. They don't stop eating. Tons of algae for them to snack on so far. My 3 and 2 year girls are in love with my nassarius snails and the blue eye hermits.

As you can see I'm not getting out of the aquarium hobby any time soon as I build this sucker into my house permanently! That's why all you help is so welcome and appreciated. Otherwise I have to sell the house if I want to quit with the fish tank. LOL.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 119
So a big weekend in the tank. Reaquascaped the entire thing. More sturdy now. More tunnels too.

Then on Sunday I got my first fish! 2 Clarki Clowns (Nemo and Marlin-girls decided that within seconds of meeting them). Got a diamond goby as well to help with sand sifting. Fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp as well. Everybody extremely happy in the tank. Will get anenome for clowns soon as well.

Quick question though...my green algae bloom seems reddish/brownish now. Did PWC 20% on Friday. Anything else I should be doing?

Very nice.

I'd wait on the nem. They need a stable tank. Most agree that 9-12 months is the timeframe.

The cleaner shrimp is also an addition that needs more time. You'll definitely have to supplement their diet maybe 2-3 times a week in a brand new tank.

So a big weekend in the tank. Reaquascaped the entire thing. More sturdy now. More tunnels too.

Then on Sunday I got my first fish! 2 Clarki Clowns (Nemo and Marlin-girls decided that within seconds of meeting them). Got a diamond goby as well to help with sand sifting. Fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp as well. Everybody extremely happy in the tank. Will get anenome for clowns soon as well.

Quick question though...my green algae bloom seems reddish/brownish now. Did PWC 20% on Friday. Anything else I should be doing?

What's your light schedule? You should bring it down to 8 hrs to starve the algae. Also, check for phosphates and nitrates. There's a nutrient source feeding the algae and it's usually phosphates. Personally, I use Chemi_pure to help with the Phosphates and of course, RO/DI water.

So what's best way to supplement shrimps diet? Same food I give clowns?

As for lights it's on 11 hrs actinic, 8 hrs MH. Think I should shorten it? Got ricordeas tho, won't affect em will it? I'll check out the phosphate thing.

Sinking pellets. Pieces of krill - target fed. They'll eat most anything. I'm just worried that you won't have much for them to scavenge right now.

Yes, you should lessen your lights for now as you search for the source. Algae is always a "find the source and remove it" issue. Do you have macro algae in your refugium?

PrettyFishies said:
Sinking pellets. Pieces of krill - target fed. They'll eat most anything. I'm just worried that you won't have much for them to scavenge right now.

Yes, you should lessen your lights for now as you search for the source. Algae is always a "find the source and remove it" issue. Do you have macro algae in your refugium?

Caulerpa in my refugium. Along with LR rubble. Will need more cauerpa or chaeto or something. Only a handfull of caulerpa now.

Back
Top Bottom