Newbie fish keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrSnodgrass

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello from Victoria, BC

I recently got a Betta, about 4 days ago. I bought a large vase (about 5-6 Litres) to house him with plants and all that. I got water conditioner also and let the water sit 24 hours before I went and picked out Monsieur Snodgrass the second. He's just gorgeous, but anyhow the first evening I noticed the water was a little cloudy. I did some research and discovered this is likely due to the nitrogen cycle being set up. I'm being careful to feed him only a few pellets per day, but so far the cloudiness hasn't gone away. I've had him for 4 days now. He seems to be doing well tho. I read on one site to watch out for the fish visiting the top frequently to gulp water or if his gills are really going, as ways to monitor the ammonia stress as the nitrogen cycle gets going, but I'm interested if there's other signs as well. To be honest, I can't afford to buy testing strips for the ammonia right now as he was finicky about his original food so I just blew $16 more bucks yesterday on different food for him. Anyhow, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I know the initial setup can be a bit sketchy and being a noob at this I don't want to do anything too wrong :)

Thanks for your feedback
Kristy

Back
Top Bottom