Newbie Fishkeeper here, looking for a bit of advice! Its long!! Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading that a 100 gallon glass tank weighs almost 200 pounds empty. Full weighing over 1100 pounds! Lets be realistic here... are those tanks meant to be in a forever spot to stay where they are? I imagine it would be a real hardship to move the tank, even with 10% of the water in it. Will tanks typically withstand any water weight while you lift and carry it? Would it need additional support on the bottom of the glass tank in order to move it, even with minimal water in there? How much water do you think I could leave in a tank that size and be able to move it to our next house? I'm trying to think ahead here because we live in apartment and do not plan on staying there forever. In fact our lease is up in August and we are planning on moving to a bigger place, if not a house.

The 150 gallon tank I mentioned before? Yeah, I've had to move that tank a few times. It's a massive ordeal. You're thinking about just water- but have you considered how much substrate you need for a tank like that? My 150 gallon has I believe around 100 pounds of gravel- and it actually has a much smaller footprint than most 150 gallon tanks (it's 4'x2'x2.5'). So to move the tank you prettymuch have to tear the entire thing apart- removing all plants, gravel, etc. And even 10% of the water in a 100 gallon tank is still 10 gallons of water- water is 8 pounds per gallon so that's another 80 pounds.

All that being said, you don't want to set up a tank bigger than 55 gallons before you move.

It took me my 15 year old brother and my father with a dolly to move my 75g 20 feet across the room. We took all the water out and it was still 250 pounds easy.

Caleb

The 150 gallon tank I mentioned before? Yeah, I've had to move that tank a few times. It's a massive ordeal. You're thinking about just water- but have you considered how much substrate you need for a tank like that? My 150 gallon has I believe around 100 pounds of gravel- and it actually has a much smaller footprint than most 150 gallon tanks (it's 4'x2'x2.5'). So to move the tank you prettymuch have to tear the entire thing apart- removing all plants, gravel, etc. And even 10% of the water in a 100 gallon tank is still 10 gallons of water- water is 8 pounds per gallon so that's another 80 pounds.

All that being said, you don't want to set up a tank bigger than 55 gallons before you move.

It took me my 15 year old brother and my father with a dolly to move my 75g 20 feet across the room. We took all the water out and it was still 250 pounds easy.

Caleb

Hey guys!

Thanks for the support! Sorry it took me so long to respond again, lol. Its been kinda a long day!

That definitely does sound like a huge hardship to undertake. As much fun as that sounds, were definitely not ready to deal with that in this space, haha. It sounds like once you put the tank where its at and get it all setup, thats where its going to be until you want to spend a week putting it all back together... possibly even longer. We will definitely not be getting a tank of that size yet, you convinced me. Although we do still want to keep fish and we are still excited about the future and the fish we can have with the tanks we have!

So, I went to my friends house today... he has a pretty cool setup, but it is not for either of my fish. For some reason I was thinking he had the tanks for ornamental fish - he is growing Tilapia though! I'm not sure, but I would think both of our fish would need a bit more care than being tossed into a tank full of pretty large fish. He has two 250 gallon tanks and two 50 gallon tanks (tanks for a lack of better words) and grows the fish in different stages of their life cycle. There are a few different types of plants in there... I can't recall any of the names of them right now, dang. Lots of floaty plants, lol. I don't want to call them tanks because what I imagine a fish tank is something with a window you can see them in, lol! All in all, I thought it wasn't an ideal situation. They could probably find a place they would be enjoyed and maybe even loved in a nice tank with enough time, that is the goal after all.

Another few questions for you guys if you don't mind! As you already know, I am trying to get these guys out of that tiny 10 gallon tank as soon as possible. I posted some water test results in my last post of the new 30 gallon "temporary tank" - what do you think? Is it normal that there are zero of any reading? I made sure to shake up the Nitrate #2 bottle real well. I'm anxious to get them out of there. I'm not saying I'm going to do this, but could I put the goldfish in there as the water is now? Just wondering... I've read a little bit about fish in cycling experiences and how diligent you have to be in testing the water and changing it when necessary. Again a curious question here, and not to say I am going to do this - what if I took the fish and put em in the 30 gal, along with some of the decorations and fresh plants, and of course the filter/pump out of the 10 gallon and let the filter run in the tank to get it to cycle with the fish in there? I feel silly even asking it, but I am curious. I don't want to kill or hurt the fish!

Thanks again! Hope you had a great day! :)

Im not 100% sure but I'm almost positive if you moved EVERYTHING (except the substrate I would change to sand :) ) then it would still be cycled and you can just double up on filtration with a filter that's meant for that tank size. If I were you I would do an AquaClear 50 HOB. I have almost the whole Aquaclear series and love them. A 50 would be rated above your tank size (I do this on all my tanks) and it would give that extra bit of filtration. You can also adjust the flow and there is plenty of room for filter media.

With a decent light you could try some live plants.

Caleb

Im not 100% sure but I'm almost positive if you moved EVERYTHING (except the substrate I would change to sand :) ) then it would still be cycled and you can just double up on filtration with a filter that's meant for that tank size. If I were you I would do an AquaClear 50 HOB. I have almost the whole Aquaclear series and love them. A 50 would be rated above your tank size (I do this on all my tanks) and it would give that extra bit of filtration. You can also adjust the flow and there is plenty of room for filter media.

With a decent light you could try some live plants.

Caleb

Hey Caleb!

Thanks for the reassuring news. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's has thought of it before at least. I just added another filter to the list of things to get soon. I have been looking around at filters recently anyways because neither of the ones we have seem to do the job that well. I actually was convinced to get one of those fancy Marineland Penguin Power Filter, the Biowheel type, until you mentioned the Aquaclear. Would you recommend one over the other?

A few questions about the substrate if you don't mind! When I am choosing sand, what is a safe kind to get? I've read you don't want to get the kind that is made from crushed coral as it can hurt the fishes... skin? Scales? Aquarium sand is sort of expensive, my girlfriend suggested we may be able to get some from OSH or Home Depot. I am skeptical of this suggestion because you never know if the sand has anything it was treated with, or if they dye sand... I'm not sure. Is Aquarium sand typically fish tank ready to go when you get it or do you have to clean it out a bit before you use it? I have always washed any new gravel I purchased in the past, it just seemed dirty and I'm glad I did because it was indeed dirty. Last question: how do I plant plants in sand? Would I still end up using a little bit of gravel for the roots of the plants to grow into and hold themselves to the substrate? Either way, I am excited to get rid of the gravel in our tanks. I did a 50% water change and gravel vaccumed in some spots that I don't normally do it at (took out some plants and decorations), there was so much debris hidden. Glad I did a big water change!

I'm going to go hang out with the family for the afternoon, but when I get home I am going to go ahead and put everything from the 10 gal into the bigger tank, along with my fishes... that is unless someone doesn't convince me not to by the time I check the forum again, lol. Would I put the water from the 10 gal also Caleb? I know you said everything except the gravel! I would assume not because it would have some debris for sure, but I want to be sure! Anything else I should do? :)

Thank you so much for your help answering all of my questions. You have been so helpful! We're looking to reading what you have to say next. Have a great day!

Hey Caleb!

Thanks for the reassuring news. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's has thought of it before at least. I just added another filter to the list of things to get soon. I have been looking around at filters recently anyways because neither of the ones we have seem to do the job that well. I actually was convinced to get one of those fancy Marineland Penguin Power Filter, the Biowheel type, until you mentioned the Aquaclear. Would you recommend one over the other?

A few questions about the substrate if you don't mind! When I am choosing sand, what is a safe kind to get? I've read you don't want to get the kind that is made from crushed coral as it can hurt the fishes... skin? Scales? Aquarium sand is sort of expensive, my girlfriend suggested we may be able to get some from OSH or Home Depot. I am skeptical of this suggestion because you never know if the sand has anything it was treated with, or if they dye sand... I'm not sure. Is Aquarium sand typically fish tank ready to go when you get it or do you have to clean it out a bit before you use it? I have always washed any new gravel I purchased in the past, it just seemed dirty and I'm glad I did because it was indeed dirty. Last question: how do I plant plants in sand? Would I still end up using a little bit of gravel for the roots of the plants to grow into and hold themselves to the substrate? Either way, I am excited to get rid of the gravel in our tanks. I did a 50% water change and gravel vaccumed in some spots that I don't normally do it at (took out some plants and decorations), there was so much debris hidden. Glad I did a big water change!

I'm going to go hang out with the family for the afternoon, but when I get home I am going to go ahead and put everything from the 10 gal into the bigger tank, along with my fishes... that is unless someone doesn't convince me not to by the time I check the forum again, lol. Would I put the water from the 10 gal also Caleb? I know you said everything except the gravel! I would assume not because it would have some debris for sure, but I want to be sure! Anything else I should do? :)

Thank you so much for your help answering all of my questions. You have been so helpful! We're looking to reading what you have to say next. Have a great day!

Hey! Work keeps me busy blah :(

1. I started the hobby with Marineland Penguins, I had a 200 and a 350b. They work great for a little bit till the impeller screws up and it's so loud it's unbearable. On top of that there is hardly any room for biomedia. Aquaclear IMO is all around just better. It has adjustable flow and much more space for your bio media, foam, Purigen, etc. the Fluval c4 is also a great compact filter with tons of space for its smaller size. Plus looks pretty sleek.

Some people use Pool filter sand as a cheap alternative to aquarium sand. I have never used it because trust issues lol. Just make sure you wash it really good before adding. also don't be surprised if you get some diatoms, it's from the silicates in the sand. Not harmful to fish it will just make the water crappy for a little bit.

Plants- most all sand if you have enough will hold plants down. Especially after they establish themselves.

Some starter plants you can take a look at:

Vallisneria species (love these!)
Anubias species
Java Fern
Hornwort (grows like a weed and soaks up nitrates!)
Java moss
Water sprite

Any more questions just ask! :)

Caleb

I personally have play sand in all of my aquariums except for two- my 150 gallon, which I set up before I converted to sand (and which is 400 miles away with my parents), and my shelldweller tank which has aragonite sand to buffer the water and increase pH.

Play sand is stupidly cheap- one $4 bag was enough for 4 different tanks for me. The only real downside is that it is REALLY dirty and you have to rinse it for a while. But that's not hard. I just took the bag of sand and a bucket outside, put some sand in the bucket, filled it with water, stirred the sand around in the bucket and then dumped the water. Repeat that a few times till the water is clear enough to make out the sand on the bottom after you stir it. It'll take a while to clean all of the sand this way but you won't find a cheaper substrate and I personally like the look of it. It's also incredible soft and my bottom dwellers seem to LOVE it.

Hey! Work keeps me busy blah :(

1. I started the hobby with Marineland Penguins, I had a 200 and a 350b. They work great for a little bit till the impeller screws up and it's so loud it's unbearable. On top of that there is hardly any room for biomedia. Aquaclear IMO is all around just better. It has adjustable flow and much more space for your bio media, foam, Purigen, etc. the Fluval c4 is also a great compact filter with tons of space for its smaller size. Plus looks pretty sleek.

Plants- most all sand if you have enough will hold plants down. Especially after they establish themselves.

Play sand is stupidly cheap- one $4 bag was enough for 4 different tanks for me. The only real downside is that it is REALLY dirty and you have to rinse it for a while. But that's not hard. I just took the bag of sand and a bucket outside, put some sand in the bucket, filled it with water, stirred the sand around in the bucket and then dumped the water. Repeat that a few times till the water is clear enough to make out the sand on the bottom after you stir it. It'll take a while to clean all of the sand this way but you won't find a cheaper substrate and I personally like the look of it. It's also incredible soft and my bottom dwellers seem to LOVE it.

Hey guys!

I was leaving the house this morning and noticed you had both replied. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys! Hopefully you had a great day! Thanks to you guys, I have learned a lot in the past few days. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Caleb, those are some good points you bring up about the Penguin series filter. If there is anything I can't stand is loud droning noises... there are two air pumps and they resonate within the shelf I put them on. Well, right now one of the air pumps is on the windowsill and it is very loud. I read that you should keep the air pump higher than the water level of the tank because it can drain water if the power stops, seems legit! That is a bit offtopic though, lol. Thanks for the great recommendation, I think I might go with the filter you suggested when we get the next one! For now I'm going to use the filter from the 10 gallon as well as the one that came with the 30 gal kit, not for too long though. I want to get a bunch of nice plants to go in the tank, actually I really liked the looks of all the plants you suggested. My favorite you mentioned was the Vallisneria. I did a quick google images search for them all and I think it would be cool to have that long grassy type plant. Seems fun for a fish, lol!

Sinibotia, I actually went to Lowes and got the smallest bag of "Quickcrete Premium Play Sand" - it was 50 pounds! :D Lol. Pretty good deal though for the amount you get for less than 5 bucks. I also bought two 5 gallon buckets (ive been tediously using one gallon jugs, lmao) first thing I did when I got home was started cleaning the sand. That was probably an hour ago, maybe a bit more. I've been trying to get the water super clean looking after being stirred. You didn't really emphasize it had to be pristine... how clean should it be? I don't want to put the sand in and have dirty looking water... but I guess thats what the filters are for! Actually, how thick should the sand be at its deepest point? I imagine it can be slightly natural looking but as far as cleaning the sand... fish waste should hang out on the surface of the sand (right? lol), while with gravel it can all fall through the cracks and never seen again. Anything else I should be aware of when I add the sand?

I'm about to go and take all of the gravel I put into the 30 gallon out and get it ready for the sand... I put a lot in there too, lol. It shouldn't take TOO long! I plan on using the big fish net I have and collect most of it. Do you guys think I should do anything else to prepare the tank for the new fishes? I think I am going to take Caleb's good graces and put everything except the gravel from the 10 gallon tank including the filter, along with my fishes. I'm kinda worried about the pleco though... I don't feel like he is as hardy as the goldfish... but hopefully it will all go well with daily water testing and changes if necessary. If you don't think its a good idea, please let me know! I'll definitely check back in before doing anything!

You guys are the best. Honestly, very big thanks to you from all of us! :) Thanks also for dealing with all of our questions. I know it can be annoying sometimes. I've been in your same position before only with a much different topic, lol.

Take care! :)

It doesn't have to be pristine, just clear enough to make out the sand on the bottom of the bucket. And you want to let the sand settle before you turn on the filter because sand will get caught in the impeller and damage it. If the sand is clean enough then everything should settle in no more than a few hours at worst.

Sand depth is entirely aesthetic as long as you have enough depth to plant any fake or real plants you're using. Also, the play sand you got is exactly what I used!

It doesn't have to be pristine, just clear enough to make out the sand on the bottom of the bucket. And you want to let the sand settle before you turn on the filter because sand will get caught in the impeller and damage it. If the sand is clean enough then everything should settle in no more than a few hours at worst.

Sand depth is entirely aesthetic as long as you have enough depth to plant any fake or real plants you're using. Also, the play sand you got is exactly what I used!

Hey there! :)

Lol, what a funny coincidence we got the exact same sand. I'm relieved actually because I was skeptical about it in the first place... at first I was mislead by the "Quickcrete" logo on there. I didn't want to make my new 30 gallon tank into a block of concrete! :lol: We figured it out though. Yeah, I cleaned it pretty thoroughly I'd say. The water is pretty clear when I stir it! I will definitely make sure to turn off the filter as well.

I've never been great at aquascaping, lol. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Lastly, you have no objection to putting my fish in within the next 24 hours?

Hope you are having a great day! :thanks:

PS: With the big fish net I used, it took less than 5 minutes to get it all! I was expecting it to take a while!

Hey guys!

I was leaving the house this morning and noticed you had both replied. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys! Hopefully you had a great day! Thanks to you guys, I have learned a lot in the past few days. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Caleb, those are some good points you bring up about the Penguin series filter. If there is anything I can't stand is loud droning noises... there are two air pumps and they resonate within the shelf I put them on. Well, right now one of the air pumps is on the windowsill and it is very loud. I read that you should keep the air pump higher than the water level of the tank because it can drain water if the power stops, seems legit! That is a bit offtopic though, lol. Thanks for the great recommendation, I think I might go with the filter you suggested when we get the next one! For now I'm going to use the filter from the 10 gallon as well as the one that came with the 30 gal kit, not for too long though. I want to get a bunch of nice plants to go in the tank, actually I really liked the looks of all the plants you suggested. My favorite you mentioned was the Vallisneria. I did a quick google images search for them all and I think it would be cool to have that long grassy type plant. Seems fun for a fish, lol!

Sinibotia, I actually went to Lowes and got the smallest bag of "Quickcrete Premium Play Sand" - it was 50 pounds! :D Lol. Pretty good deal though for the amount you get for less than 5 bucks. I also bought two 5 gallon buckets (ive been tediously using one gallon jugs, lmao) first thing I did when I got home was started cleaning the sand. That was probably an hour ago, maybe a bit more. I've been trying to get the water super clean looking after being stirred. You didn't really emphasize it had to be pristine... how clean should it be? I don't want to put the sand in and have dirty looking water... but I guess thats what the filters are for! Actually, how thick should the sand be at its deepest point? I imagine it can be slightly natural looking but as far as cleaning the sand... fish waste should hang out on the surface of the sand (right? lol), while with gravel it can all fall through the cracks and never seen again. Anything else I should be aware of when I add the sand?

I'm about to go and take all of the gravel I put into the 30 gallon out and get it ready for the sand... I put a lot in there too, lol. It shouldn't take TOO long! I plan on using the big fish net I have and collect most of it. Do you guys think I should do anything else to prepare the tank for the new fishes? I think I am going to take Caleb's good graces and put everything except the gravel from the 10 gallon tank including the filter, along with my fishes. I'm kinda worried about the pleco though... I don't feel like he is as hardy as the goldfish... but hopefully it will all go well with daily water testing and changes if necessary. If you don't think its a good idea, please let me know! I'll definitely check back in before doing anything!

You guys are the best. Honestly, very big thanks to you from all of us! :) Thanks also for dealing with all of our questions. I know it can be annoying sometimes. I've been in your same position before only with a much different topic, lol.

Take care! :)

My day wasn't terrible for a Monday lol. Glad you like the plants. Just a warning, I'm going to just assume now your kit came with a T8 fluorescent light... That ***might*** grow plants... I would recommend an LED or if you really want to be awesome look at Finnex on Amazon. Great lights and are much cheaper than most other brands.
I run a 48 inch on my 75g.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430790209.657321.jpg
Excuse the tank it's an overgrown mess because work has kept me busy lol.

I would do around a 1-2 inch substrate. 1.5-2 preferably. This gives plenty of grounding for your plants to establish themselves, and of course getting all that play sand I'm sure you have enough to do that lol.

On the plants, depending on species, some are not planted at all, some are tied down, and some are planted.

Here's the list I think I gave you from memory:

Java moss- tie it down to rock or wood
Java Fern- tie down
Anubias-tie down
Water sprite- planted
Amazon swords-planted+root tabs
Vallisneria-planted (optional root tabs)
Hornwort- tie it down or let it float. I wrap mine around my driftwood and let it free drift.

Pleco's are actually very hardy fish compared to most. As long as you match the temperature they should be fine.

Caleb

My day wasn't terrible for a Monday lol. Glad you like the plants. Just a warning, I'm going to just assume now your kit came with a T8 fluorescent light... That ***might*** grow plants... I would recommend an LED or if you really want to be awesome look at Finnex on Amazon. Great lights and are much cheaper than most other brands.
I run a 48 inch on my 75g.
View attachment 271645
Excuse the tank it's an overgrown mess because work has kept me busy lol.

I would do around a 1-2 inch substrate. 1.5-2 preferably. This gives plenty of grounding for your plants to establish themselves, and of course getting all that play sand I'm sure you have enough to do that lol.

On the plants, depending on species, some are not planted at all, some are tied down, and some are planted.

Here's the list I think I gave you from memory:

Java moss- tie it down to rock or wood
Java Fern- tie down
Anubias-tie down
Water sprite- planted
Amazon swords-planted+root tabs
Vallisneria-planted (optional root tabs)
Hornwort- tie it down or let it float. I wrap mine around my driftwood and let it free drift.

Pleco's are actually very hardy fish compared to most. As long as you match the temperature they should be fine.

Caleb

Hey there again Caleb! :)

Glad you had a good day! Mondays can be stressful though, I can't deny. Your tank doesn't look overgrown to me! It looks great actually. I'm kinda jealous, lol. What do you do to let the plants be overgrown... besides not trimming them? Do you trim them? Lol. I was looking at this stuff (I forget the name) at petsmart today that helps plants grow better... some sort of substrate with a fish safe fertilizer perhaps? Either way, your tank is great! I hope to be able to have some nice plants like that.

The kit actually came with those LED light strip things. There are 6 light pods if you will, I had to pop them into place on the hood when I got the kit. As far as growing plants with those, I have no idea lol. They seemed to work pretty well on the 10 gallon for the plants, at least for a while. For some reason they always die eventually. Surprisingly there is one plant still alive from when we first got the 10 gallon months ago. An amazon swordleaf of some kind!

The plants you listed gave me a few ideas... now to find a fish store that stocks even some of those things, lol. I'll have to check back at the one that is near me in town but they have sort of a limited selection. I usually just pick a couple that look cool. Anacharis always dies first.

I'm about to put some sand in the tank after I eat dinner real fast. I've also been curing a piece of driftwood, I might put it in there as the water is pretty clear now. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Thanks again Caleb, you have been such a great help! I appreciate the time you've taken to help me and my fish friends!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430794497.008210.jpg

I use this chart as a reference for my plants.

Plants can and do grow you know lol some of mine like the Val's, anarchis and hornwort can hit the top of the tank by the end of the week. I got 1 strand of anarchis that's pushing 3.5 feet long! It just keeps going lol.

If you really want to get into plants I would use your 10 gallon and just do a mini tropical tank and try plants in there. Smaller tank = smaller cost. The smaller Finnex lights are hardly more than other LED's for that size tank PLUS they grow plants very well. The substrate you saw is likely a planted substrate. Eco-Complete is the most popular because it traps nutrients in it and the plants can feed off of it.

If you are really serious about the plants you can try the Eco complete and the Finnex. flourish excel/comprehensive and API leaf zone you cover your fertilizers.

I'm sure that's overwhelming though ;) if you want to take that step though there is plenty of users with gorgeous tanks much better than mine though.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom