Newbie help needed from Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have decided to forgo the 1st tank as per your advice. I can't risk the piano.

Probably a good choice. The salt creep can build up quite a distance away from even a tiny amount of splashing. I would not risk the piano either.

I would pass up the bioball/wet dry filter. You will have enough filtration with the sand bed and your live rock. The bioballs will sometimes collect left over food and waste that can disolve back into your water. I would have one section for your refugium/dsb, one for your skimmer and any other equipment you run, and the last one as a water reservoir and section for your pump. Remember the water level will lower from evaporation in the last section of the sump. So you want a decent volume of water in the last section so you don't have to top it off as often unless you are going to put an auto top off system on the tank.

Please help me with one more thing.

Should I place the skimmer before the refugium/dsb or after the refugium?

If before the refugium there is little for the organism in the refugium to consume. The skimmer would have sweep clean the nutrient??? If after the refugium the organism that left the refugium will most probably ended up in the skimmer before they could reach the main tank???? Or am I wrong in this assumption somewhere?

By the way auto top off you mean connect to tape water? If auto top off fails to stop and water keep flowing...:( fish die everything die and me also in deep water. But if I opt not to have auto top off and if the pump runs dry, I only have to replace the broken pump before all things die. Is there a alarm system? A bell ring or something when water level too high or too low?

Stevie

You can put the protein skimmer in either of those places. There will be enough organics for the macro algae to consume. The protein skimmer won't work that fast and there is a large body of water to consider here.

Normally you have a bucket of fresh water and the ato takes the water from that source. There will be a float valve that tells the ato when to stop pouring in water. If you want to get high tech, there are controllers that will page you via sms when it malfunctions or make an audible noise.

Refugium

OK, that is great. Thank you very much, I will have the protein skimmer at the first compartment.

The bucket of fresh RO water will be above the refugium, am I right? An audible noise should be fine no need for sms. Got to look for these gadgets from LFS.

By the way, the refugium that I googled all have up and down flow from one section/compartment to the other and have something called bubble trap. Why bubble trap? Is it harmful for bubble to pass and flow?

This up and down flow look to me more of a risk restricting flow. As debris are going to collect in these narrow path, the water level at the pump end will be much lower and pump could run dry? Also, the first two sections, especially the first section, could over flow? Can we not have a full flow thru section dividers like the drawing attached? The total area for water flow is so much more than the narrow "bubble trap". When the bubble trap clogged or blocked the auto top up won't help. It only helps overflowing the first section as it keeps on topping up water at the pump/last section? Am I right? I need your advice before I go make the refugium. Some advices please.

Attachments

• dividers.jpg
    dividers.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 66
i dont know much about the bubbles trap...if u plan your baffles like that,it seems to me like no functions....there is some reason why we need those baffles....here some link might help u...
Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

btw....where would u put your return pump? and the larger space will be the place for skimmer...????

After going thru the articles about the sump I begin to understand more. Look like I got to follow the conventional method of up down up flow. Thanks.

The return pump will be on the opposite side of the skimmer. I think I will just have to copy and follow the design of one of those displayed at the LFS. I have to start somewhere and modify if I must.

Now I am looking for a piece of clear glass tank with the front angles having no joints but curve. If you know anyone customize aquarium glass tank in Malaysia?

there a lot....try search local stores that sell aquarium...u can order from them...but i dont understand why u need such..??? why did u need curve for the front...??? cant your stand fit with square (normal) size tank..???

I do not mean curve in the front view. it is the corner joints between the 2 side glasses with the front glass. Instead of a joint with silicon I would like to have no joint but a curve or 90 degree bent. Normally an all glass aquarium is made of 5 main pieces of glass with silicon glue joining them together. With the 2 sides and front piece as one piece I will have 3 piece glass aquarium. Got what I mean? The glass can be bent with heat. Usually the way to do it is using a long piece of glass and heating a rod and place the hot rod along the glass to be bend. So the aquarium will have a continueous view with no joints in front.

I went to Pudu there and talked to the LFS and he told me he could order and customize the glass aquarium I wanted with no joints in the front. But he was not telling me to go direct to the glass store. So I am asking you if you know any glass store that offer such service to bend glass.

yup i got wht u meant...if u plan so, u may go to the aquarium maker as i dont know how they will do it...and it might be pricey...for me, it is better with 5 main pieces rather than 3 pieces...if there is break/crack for 1 one of the glass, i only have to replace the pieces...that is what i think....JMO.....
okay near the BOMBA pudu had a glass store but im not so sure if the guy can bend glass for u or not...

I found it already. See pic from Setapak Aquarium Trading in Taman Desa Gombak, somewhere near your place. They can make glass aquarium like these in the picture. If you dont mind can you visit them and advise me what you think about them?

Setapak Aquarium Trading
25, Jalan 3/50A,
Taman Desa Gombak,
53000 Kuala Lumpur.

Attachments

• banner4.jpg
    banner4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 86
  • banner1.jpg
    banner1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 66
okay...i'l try my best....but im only available on weekend...is that okay with u..?? if it is okay with u,can u gimme the size that u need..?? or maybe u can gimme your prefer design for your sump...

My choice of tank is 5' (L) x 1 1/2' (W) x 2' (H). Or 5 x 2 x 2 is also ok. I am not sure the thickness of the glass. They should know for a height of 2 feet. Of course when fill it water the height of the water is less than 2 feet. The tank should have two holes at the bottom for going to the sump and return. The holes probably should be at the middle or the sides, I am not sure which is better for viewing and practical.

I also need the bottom cabinet.

The sump should fit the bottom cabinet and the design you can recommend so long it works.

I think the major cost is the tank and the cabinet.

Thank you and looking forward to hear from you. Meanwhile I will still be looking around.

If you are going reef your main cost will be the lights. Be sure that you can find lights for a 5' tank.

okay....its better if u try to find the cabinet first....then u need to find out if 2ft sump tank will fit under it..dont forget to acknowledge the other thing like skimmer etc...design shud be on u since u are the 1 who knows exactly what do u want for your sump...the size for every parts and the length of every baffles...all i need to know is your sump size...what do u prefer...if u have some space for sump, i would suggest for 3ft coz u will have much space for refugium, if u wish so....

I would want to maximize the size for the sump. When the cabinet is for a 5' tank then I think I can have a 4' to 4 half feet sump.

I think the main issue is to find the tank that comes with the cabinet from a single supplier so that the cabinet and tank fit perfectly. About the sump it can be bought later and it can be customize made and follow anyone design that can accommodate a return pump, skimmer and refugium.

As for lighting it is going to cost more as TC said. I am not sure. I have little knowledge about lightings. There are so many types to choose from. When I know little I cannot choose. There are LED, halogen, fluorescent tube, LED, LED fluorescent, etc. Got to look at long term running cost as well. Its durability, electricity consumption, efficiency and deterioration vs time and worst of all the made, brands. Anyway, just got to blindly buy some and experience it? Pay to learn? or you can help me some?

Ultimately I'll go for reef. This is what salt water hobby is all about. For a start I go for something simple to experience and learn. Something like Fish only. As I go I will go toward reef and that also easy on my pocket. Slow and steady. That is why I did not get a tank first but join the forum seeking help and knowledge before getting a tank and making serious mistakes.

IMO, for fish only tank, go for T5..that shud be okay....but if u set for reef tank, u can have metal halide for lights...some said T5HO also doing fine..depends on what types of coral u wish to have....LED is a new equipment at the moment....we cant find any LED sell in Malaysia except very cheap LED build which only have 50k hours livespan...if u wish to have LED's then go on for that or DIY....
about your tank, go seek at EastAqua at midvalley because they have that type of tank..but if u join our local web that im suggested, there's a person selling 5ft tank together with cabinet and lighting but im not so sure if it is stil available...u can order cabinet for custom made to fit your tank size...but it might be above 2k depends on your types and design....i hope that will helps you.....

t-5 ho are every bit as good as halides, or better. you can keep whatever you want under the right T-5 fixture. ONLY drawback, is the lack of "shimmer" that halides produce.

Back
Top Bottom