Newbie here please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshCoulson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with a heater good enough for 45 gallon. A normal filter and thats about it!

Fish Currently living in this aquarium:
4 Sharks Total. - 2 black sharks , 1 red tailed black shark and an ID Shark.
1-Albino Corydoras
1-Neon Tetra
1-danio
1-Algae Eater

(I would love to add an angel fish to this tank. Would this be a good idea? If not please explain why.)

( Is there any other things i need for my tank? What is Co2?)

The last 4 fish I wrote i have above are 5-7 years old I got with this tank

I have 2 plans i dont know what they are, about 6-8 inches high if that matters.

Wow, hi! Unfortunately you've massively overstocked for a 29 gal. The ID shark (I'm assuming you mean iridescent) can reach up to 3+ feet; they also prefer groups (which requires a very large tank). The Neons and Corys should be in groups or they'll get stressed but in your tank size with the sharks, I think they're going to be shark food before long. You've had one neon and one cory for 4 years or have the others died off?

You can't add any more fish honestly. You'd need at least a 55 just for the red tailed alone, although some argue that at least 75g is required given their activity level. For the ID's long term you'd need a tank with hundreds of gallons (300+). How large are the fish now? How long have you had them.

Edited: Geez I missed that you have 2 black sharks too. I think you're going to have to start rehoming some sharks.

Last edited:
CO2 isn't really something that you'd benefit from, it's for growing out your water plants, and even then there is a debate, and I'm not interested in debating that, lol, I have heavy planted tanks (currently a 10g) I don't use CO2, I micro manage for farming reasons. Your filter should be 2X output than your tank gallon wise. Your heater is fine, as long as you can control the temperature, you don't wanna boil the little guys. angel fish shouldn't be kept in a tank less than 40g, and even then you're pushing it, between their bioload and their size it's just not a good idea. Research angel fish, if you haven't already and look at how big they get, measure your tank and think to yourself if it's appropriate. If you have already done the research then- Really?! Lol. I'm just joking :) Part of research is asking questions. Angel fish are just a little too big for your already heavy stocked tank.

Thanks for the replies guys!! The neon and the corys, have always been alone from my knowledge , i got them with this tank as i have said before, shoul i buy them buddies? Or should i seperate my fish into smaller tanks? Just tell me what todo, the sharks range from 1 inch to about 3 inches so far i know they will get bigger tho so im looking for a bigger tank

No, the sharks shouldn't be in anything smaller. How long have you had them or did they come with the tank too?

Have you tested water parameters at all (ammonia, nitrite, etc)? what's your water change schedule? I'd be worried about toxins in the water from so many fish particularly if you just added some. What's your filtration? Here's a guide for you:Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Honestly I don't know if you can keep all of those sharks long-term. You'll need a massive tank as I said above.

I plan in the future to have a 200 g tank. The sharks are just a few inches got them with in the last month from the pet store

Most freshwater sharks fall into a few different categories- catfish, loaches, botia, you get my drift? Most of the catfish based sharks, such as your iridescent are or should be kept alone in a VERY large aquarium, better than that is a recreated river basin ecosystem ;-) my mom has a 26in one she got after my one eyed id shark passed away. He managed to jump between my cover and filter and go airborne, he was 7 inches when it happened, he was given to me by an lfs I know as a fry that he received in an order. I guess he was the runt, half of him had been eaten, but for whatever reason he refused to give up his spunkiness. When my hubby brought him home I was absolutely in love. Mine was only about 2 inches at the time and I kept him in a 20g hospital until he was about 4 inches- he did fine... He was in a 48g with a 4 inch red oscar and a 5 inch tiger oscar. From 4-6 inches he was there, then it was too crowded (my oscars grew as fast as the shark) and luckily his own 40g temp home was ready.... He jumped out of that tank.... My mom had already made his river habitat for me because of how fast he was growing.. She knew how much I wanted to see him get big so she surprised me with a 18 inch in the habitat once it was ready... Just another story guys, hope you liked it if you read it...

Great story! I plan to get my if shark a huge tank prob a 150 for him self

He'll appreciate the space, they are such beautiful fish!! Good luck with the little guy!! Check him out under a black light sometime if you haven't already, it's awesome

Since i only have a 30 gal tank now , i have an option to get a 90 gal should i get it? Or would it just be better to wait till they grow

Grab that 90g!! You'll be alright with that for a good while with that, given nobody wants to eat anyone else and enough hiding places you should be fine for about 4-6 months at least. They appreciate having a place of their own in the tank where they feel like nobody knows they are there, as long as you can provide this for them you should be okay. When they start feeling cramped if you aren't watchful you can wind up with a massacre. They will start acting aggressive pretty quick if they aren't happy. You've got some larger than life, physically and metaphorically, fish there

Back
Top Bottom