Newbie low tech planted questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys. Finally refinished the stand of my new 55 gal tank. Now i get to start the super fun part of setting up and heavily planting. So I am trying to decide which canister filter I want. I have never used one before and
trying to find the best one that isn't an arm and a leg. Hoping to find one that allows the output to flow unrestricted to disperse nutrients. Any suggestions on a low maintenance canister?

Also I am trying to figure out lighting. From what I have read on low tech planted tanks I should use T5 with about 1-1.5wpg so algae does not go crazy. Alot of the 48inch lighting ballast that I seen are dual and If I follow the 1-1.5wpg I would really only need to use one HO bulb. Would I be able to use the other socket for a color enhancing bulb that wont promote excess algae?

I really want to have lunar lights for night viewing and nature purposes for the tank inhabitants. What would you suggest for a lunar lighting system that would provide optimal viewing?

Thanks guys in advance

Hi. There's a lot of canister options out there. One I've been considering but haven't tried yet is the oddysea line. They aren't as well made as the comparable fluvals but they are also 1/4 - 1/2 the price. The CFS-500 would be plenty for a 55g.
Canister Filters

As far as lighting goes, I would get a 2 bulb t5ho light, and again you can go cheap on it if you aren't planning to take it high tech. I got a nice 3 bulb t5ho with moonlights and digital timer on ebay last year, I'm not sure if they are still available.

This light is a little bit overkill, but it has a digital timer and built in LEDs. You can use the timer to control the on/off period for the moonlight LEDs and you can also use them to keep only 2 bulbs on if the 4 bulbs is a bit too much for your setup. The price is hard to beat, mine is similar to this but only has 3 bulbs instead of 4.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Back
Top Bottom