Newbie Native Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would suggest releasing the fish so the tank can cycle. Then I myself would put in pumpkinseeds because they are pretty colorful and don't get nearly as big as the bluegill/crappie.

I am still debating a release for cycle :ermm: Bluegill are long gone btw.

Did you research the black banded sunfish, they're the smallest sunfish (3 in. Max). Google them and see, it's been awhile since I checked them out. You could have a nice group, with a sand bottom for spawning.

Both the black banded or the banded(2 different species) sunfish only reach 3in. Your getting me interested in them again! My grandchild does need a new fish tank, then my 75 gallon...... [emoji57]

I really like the green sunfish, always so inquisitive and active.

So I ran my fish levels though this thing I've seen people talk about on here, aqadvisor's Intelligent Freshwater Aquarium Stocking Calculator ... they didn't have black crappie so I instead counted him as 2 bluegill, which are a larger biomass than him overall. Here is what it suggested. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 227%.
Recommended water change schedule: 29% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 86%.

Couldn't pull morning levels, was running late for work.

I understand your desire to keep some natives. I have some friends who have done so successfully. I would release the fish for now and finish the cycle instead of torturing them with ammonia. Then return to the lake later and catch the smallest fish you can. If you get the conditions healthy they will grow fast enough anyway. You are going to have non-stop work to keep the water non-toxic with more than a few very small natives.

I certainly don't mind the work for now. Fish eating: Crappie took 3 whole nightcrawlers and a scrap of a 4th, also I don't see 2 snails :whistle:. There is a hole in the fake branch, maybe they are in there. Greenies both ate until mouths couldn't close right. All fish active and no oddity noted.

Evening Check (Post 50% replacement) - 2x prime again

Ammonia - 1.0
nitrite - 0.0
nitrate - 5.0
PH 7.4

Fun project! I'd start very slow and put in 3 small fish first. Let water adjust a few weeks, then add one or two tank mates. Your first fish will be adjust and help the water to mature, perhaps.

Another thought I had in terms of compatible chemistry: Can you use some of the lake water as a "starter" to cultivate native good bacteria? That's what I would do unless someone forbade me to do it! ;). Seems like the most natural and true way to make native fish at home. I'd love feedback on this idea?!

That is quiet an interesting idea with the lake water injection. I'm tempted away from it though with the idea of all the hitchhikers that would likely be in that water as well.

As for right now, my current plan is for this to be a 3 fish tank, 1 crappie and 2 green sunfish ... assuming the big crappie doesn't eat the smaller of the green sunfish; he has made a few half-hearted attempts during the day and gets fairly serious about it when the lights are off. The little one has taken to hiding in the hole in the fake log at night.

Adding water from the lake will not work. The beneficial bacteria are not found in the water column.
You might be doing daily water changes for the next month or so to keep the water quality somewhat near decent levels. The fish you have will be generating a ton of waste.

Afternoon check, pre 64% water change:

Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 7-8.0

Added a half dozen chubby minnows and a dozen tiny feeder minnows. Surprisingly the larger greenie ate a big minnow, which was about 25% his body size. :eek:

Ended up doing 75% replacement instead.

After pwc:
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 7.0

Noted 2 partially digested snail shells in some leavings today, I guess that answers that question.

After 50% pwc:
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 7.0
PH 7.4

Got a python no spill water changer coming, soon no more buckets hehe.

Nothing new to report.

Doing 50% pwc a day and ending up @ 0.5 ammonia after each. Fish all eating fine and getting along well.

Good to hear, keep up in the water changes and keep dosing prime. They make a powdered version, I believe it's called safe. It's super concentrated so might be worth looking into.

Of yeah definitely still doing the Prime, also I started using the seachem Stability to hopefully speed the cycle process up.

Another note, it is amazing to turn off the tank lights. All three fish immediately switch into attack mode on the feeder fish.

Dios Mio !! :eek: Nitrites !

I guess its progress.

Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite somewhere between 2.0-5.0 (bright purple)
Nitrate 30.0
pH 7.4-7.6
Temp 71.0

75% pwc in progress and 5x'd the prime. I already have some aquarium salt enroute which i hear can also help with nitrites. Retesting in an hour or so. Fish appear fine and are roaming/eating.

c1HHXfY.jpg

The three fish hanging out.

Y1cSgny.jpg

Thus begins the photobomb.....

rskVXYA.jpg

He likes people.

VH2ZUOF.jpg

The small sunfish in dark mode... apparently they change colors.

EL0jRBm.jpg

The larger sunfish at 105% food input.

A week later, update time.

Cycle progressing nicely. Ammonia is being handled to 0.0 daily. The nitrites are very high however so I am doing 50-75% pwc daily and dosing via Safe. I also added some salt, having read about how it helps mitigate the effects of high nitrites.

Fish are eating a ton, easily 20 assorted size feeder minnows every other day. I have offered two types of pellets with no success thus far. Also some crickets and night crawlers are being fed.

Also added a couple more mystery snails, up to 4 black and 2 golden. Fish seem to be leaving them alone now.

I'm curious how your tank is still doing? I've been contemplating this when I get a house and a 150g tank. As these fish are native to me too.

Back
Top Bottom