Newbie - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you definitely need a tube. you need a way to pull out about 50% (or more) of the water in your tank in order for an effective water change about once weekly. for me, i just got the siphon like the link i gave you, and siphon the water out into buckets, then fill the tank back up with buckets (either dump the buckets right in or siphon the water in).

this is more along the lines of what you want: Gravel Cleaner - Small - Maintenance - Gravel Cleaners at BigalsOnline
this is from BigAls, from the link you just posted. i'm assuming that is where you are purchasing everything. never used this brand but looks very similar to mine.

K, got it as the 4th item on the list. Got my tank and gravel today. So when I get all the stuff from Bigals, I just rinse the gravel, dump the water, turn on the heater, run the filter, and check ammonium/nitrite everyday for 3-4 months, then I'll be ready to go?

not exactly. rinse gravel, yes, very well. however if it is dyed gravel do not use hot water or you could risk letting the dye leech out. I would also give your tank/filter/heater good rinsing as well, always better safe than sorry. after you add your gravel, fill the tank so the water is about 3" above the gravel, then add in your heater, filter, and decorations, and get everything how you want it. then you can go ahead and fill the tank the rest of the way. now turn everything on and let your filter run for about a half an hour, then add your dechlor (most here use Prime, I have API Stresscoat+). this is just how I like to do it.

next, you will need an ammonia source to start your cycle. Pure ammonia (UNscented, NO surfactants) is the best way to go, IMO. fish food can be used as well, but is much messier and little less accurate IMO. read this thread, it will help guide you through the cycling process http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

EDIT: you can also use raw shrimp for an ammonia source but it could get smelly. also, the cycle should only take about 4 weeks give or take.

Last edited:
Everything in that API tester is to show you the levels of whatever in your tank. If you have a well, you won't have to dechlorinate your water, but (more likely) if you live in the city or are connected to city water, your water will be chlorinated, and you will need a dechlorinator.

The pH from the kit doesn't dechlorinate. One pH goes from.. 6-8, (or something like that) and the high pH one probably goes from like 7-10.

The biowheel on the penguin isn't a substitute for testing, but it is just a place where alot of bacteria can live. It will make things easier if you choose to change substrates to lets say.. sand, because he surface area of the biowheel is so high.

For the siphon, the physics behind it (kind of) is that the amount of flow within the tube/rigid side is the same, so water will move alot faster in a small diameter tube than a larger diameter rigid tube, so your fish have less chance of getting sucked in.

I've tried to answer as many questions as I could remember so.. :)

yeah, don't even touch the pH adjusters (pH up and pH down). you want to just leave your pH as is. most fish will adjust to whatever your pH is. using those chemicals is just asking for trouble, because once the pH starts to swing up and down, your fish will start getting sick and/or dying.

and no, pH adjusters are not a substitute for dechlor. you will need to buy the Prime or similar product. it may look expensive but will last you a very long time.

Something else you can do is get a rubbermaid tub (like 15 or so gallons) fill it up with water and then run a bubbler inside overnight. This will get rid of the chlorine, but another problem is chloramine, which is in some water supplies. If you do have chloramines, you have no choice but to get some sort of water conditioner because I think it is very hard to break apart (the chlorine and ammonia)

Drop #5, that isn't ammonia, it is actually something that absorbs ammonia, and will hinder your cycle.

That prime will probably last you at least a few years :)

Bigalsonline doesn't have ammonia then? Because I did a search for "ammonia" and that's all that came up... Maybe I can steal some from my lab :D hahah

And just to confirm - after my tank has cycled, do I need to do PWC every week or everyday? I read in this thread about how people with 10G tanks do PWC every day to keep ammonia concentration down.

Once your tank is fully cycled, the only chemical you need to worry about is nitrates (assuming there isn't any drastic changes in fish load or chemicals). Nitrates can be absorbed by plants, and generally goes up more slowly than ammonia, and is like 10x or something like that, less toxic than ammonia. That's why most people do like 30-40% weekly/biweekly water changes.

Pure ammonia (sometimes called clear ammonia) is sold at hardware stores. If you bought it online, shipping wouldn't be that great, so soon you'll be set. You want ammonia that doesn't have surfactants though, because it does something weird to the water (I don't remember)

Can I trouble you to link me to a site where I can buy a bottle of pure ammonia?

Ace® Ammonia - 6 Pack - Industrial Cleaners - Ace Hardware

From the description, that looks like the stuff, but online it's in 6 packs. If you went into the store, I'm sure they'll have single bottles. I think the "test" for safe ammonia is if you shake it, it should look mostly like water. If it bubbles like there's soap inside, then it's not good. Walmart used to have the right stuff, but I don't think they do anymore.

perfumes and surfactants will kill everything in the water. bacteria will not grow. it will poison fish. I accidentally used perfumed ammonia when starting out and it took 3 weeks of nothing happening in my tank (no bacterial growth) to find out. it was a sad day :( I had to tear down the whole tank, throw some things away, and boil or thoroughly wash the rest.

just make sure the ammonia is "clear" or "janitorial strength" or 100%. hardware stores seem like the place to get it.

That stuff looks like it will work. As long as there are no detergents or dyes, and it doesn't bubble like soap when you shake it.

I got my ammonia at Meijer's, here is a pic:
img_1126392_0_8ea01197debd03e5af70e71d3c406b24.jpg

I suggest you read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Ok, thanks for all your help! I will order these stuff today and will make a thread with a journal. Thanks again!

Alright, I will find go to my local hardware store and CVS and see if they have the right one.

Also, when it comes to driftwood, can I just take a tree branch that fell down from a tree, wash it, and throw it in the tank? Or should I soak it in ocean water for a week then throw it in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom