<--newbie need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foreman711

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought my first tank on Friday, a 10 gallon starter kit from petsmart. Set it all up step by step with the directions. My problem is the water temperature, I set the heater to what it said and the directions said it shoud be 78+- degrees but was sitting at about 86 degrees. So I turned off the heater and tried to see if that was the problem, yesterday the same temp. Now today I didn't turn the light on all day and its sitting at about 83 degrees. Please help I don't know how to get the water temp down.
Thank you

Is it a heater that you set actual temp to or is it just one of the heaters that raises the temp by a few degrees per gallon? Depending on where you are located, you might not even need a heater this time of year.

I live in Michigan and this weekend its been about 80+ degrees out and the air conditioning has not been on. The heater is for a 5-15 gallon tank next to the filter for circulation and one thermometer is on the outside of the tank and one is inside opposite of the heater. The inside is reading the 84 degrees.

Welcome Aboard!

Smaller tanks are affected easier by fluctuations in ambient temperature IME. Are you testing you water temp with an in tank thermo or a stick on? What time of day are you checking the temp? I'd suggest testing midday and late evening with an in tank thermo to see if there's a wide variation in temp between the two.

Well I'm worried about buying fish, the tank has no first, 2 thermometers one stick on and one inside, the inside one is reading between 83-86 degrees all day I've been checking all day about every hour. I stopped looking at the stick on because I feel it's reading the temp of the room. I'm just worried to buy fish with the water staying between 83-86 degrees

Yep, getting the temp stable first is good fish keeping, as big swings in temp can be hard on fish IMO. Is the tank in a sunny/windowed room? Can you move it to a cooler, more central area of the house?

The water in the tank cannot be cooler than the temperature in the room so if it's in the 80's and you don't have the AC on then your tank will be in the 80's

Is there anything I can do? Is it bad to put some fish in there? Or should I wait till we put the air conditioning on to put fish in?

I would wait or like Mr. Limpet said find a shady interior part of the house that may be cooler. Maybe put a fan on the tank or something. Either way the tank needs to be at the right temperature for the fish and that is to warm (for most fish anyway).

As a fellow newbie to the fish herding clan, welcome to the hobby and get out your notebook. It hasn't been said by these folks because you asked about temp, but since you commented upon getting fish... Cycle first, stabilize temperature and then, only then get fish.

If it's possible to put the tank in a less steamy location, I'd move it or... get fish that like it hot. I'm ignorant as to what likes it that hot all the time, but ... see that part about the notebook ;)

Welcome to AA!
-M

Its an upstairs apartment and is kind of in the center, the room has one window that is cover by a blanket. But the only way to get anything going is to have the air conditioning on? This room kind of doesn't get well air circulation, I just want the easy solution so I can get this started! Lol

You find when it comes to the hobby that the easy solution is usually the wrong one. Take the time it's worth it. If the only way to have the proper temp is to wait for the air to come on then wait for the air, and like Mac said have you done a fishless cycle yet?

I'm not quite sure exactly what that is, is it the testing the water, then taking out some adding more and re conditioning the water? Testing again?

foreman711 said:
I'm not quite sure exactly what that is, is it the testing the water, then taking out some adding more and re conditioning the water? Testing again?

Welcome to AA! There is a link in my signature which is a guide and FAQ about fishless cycling. It is the single most important thing you'll ever do with your aquarium. Please feel free to ask any questions here or on the guide thread...good luck!

Find a decent lfs or three in your town and go look at them, see the tank conditions, the store conditions, the aquatic plant conditions. etc etc...

Oh and master test kit from the Local Fish Store (lfs from now on) is mandatory because when things go awry the very first question will be, "what are you numbers?"

Did I mention the notebook?

Thank you all very much, I never realized how much work this is, I'm going to take my time read all of that and follow it word for word. Maybe by that time it's done it will be late enough in the season to turn on the AC

foreman711 said:
Thank you all very much, I never realized how much work this is, I'm going to take my time read all of that and follow it word for word. Maybe by that time it's done it will be late enough in the season to turn on the AC

Fishless cycling can look overwhelming when you first read through it...but you will quickly catch on and understand the importance. All members here will happily help you along the way. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom