Newbie needs advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wynn said:
Welcome to the hobby Mario! You're getting some great stocking advice from everybody, so I won't offer any more suggestions for that. The one thing that I wanted to mention is that the Aquaclear 500 is still called Aquaclear 500. Make sure that the parts you are getting for your filter is correct.

i read on a sign that they had stating that Aquaclear 500's parts are now labled Aquaclear 110. I will make 100% sure that the filters fit correctly before i go to turn everything on...

thanks for the insight...
Mario

Just checked Hagen's website, and you are correct. They've changed the name to Aquaclear 110. Sorry to have mislead you about this. I have two of these filters myself and usually buy my supplies online. BigAlsOnline and Petsolutions haven't changed the name yet.

This afternoon I totally renovated my 55 gal and it looks identical to a saltwater. I used beige sand with black sand accents with a black backing. The fish that I have in my tank are 3 blood parrots (2 yellow and 1 red), 2 spiny eels, 2 electric blue, 1 ice blue, and 2 yellow lab.'s. They are all cichlid's except for the eels and they are bright in color. I then put in a bunch of plants in the back corners and a maxi-jet. If I didn't know better, then I would have thought that it was a salt water. I will warn you though, the blood parrots are hard to find and can be costly (about $25 per fish) BUT they are great. When the water needs to be changed they get a slight black stripe on them or when the tank is overcrowded it appears. It seems like everytime they get a black stripe, we change the water, and it's gone.

Bringing back the old school...wanted to update all on my tank situation...

Did some research on the stand...found that alot of people were happy with the Wal-Mart product...went to look at it and liked the overall quality and price of the product...bought it...asked the associate about the matching hood...to which he replied, "We have 1 left and you are gonna get a SWEET deal on this..." Hood was discontinued, no longer gonna be carried....orginal price, $44, marked down to $0.50...thats right...NOT A TYPO...bought that...

i also picked up black gravel...got home, set everything up...all i need now is water and fish...i will get some pics as soon as i can...IT LOOKS GORGEOUS even without water and fish...LOVING IT...

As far as fish are concerned...i've dedided to do this...
4 Angels, 4 Neon Tetra Jumbos, 2 Pictus Cats, 2 Plecos

let me know what you all think...thanks...

Back
Top Bottom