newbie - new to breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junebug1500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone - this is my first ever post. This site is so informative - thank you!!!!

Here's my situation ... I've had a 5 gallon tank with 4 guppies (2f and 2m). About 5 weeks ago, I bought a pair of platies (mickey mouse). Two days later, the male platy had died. About 2 weeks later, my little girl noticed "junior". To my surprise, one of my fish had babies!! At first I wasn't sure which fish was the mother, so I moved all the adult fish to another tank. After doing some research here and other sites, I'm guessing that they are guppy fry. I believe the fry are about 2 weeks old now. At least, that's when we first discovered them. There's about 13 right now.

Ok, so I buy another tank (12 gal Eclipse) to house the adults and future fry (if any survive), while keeping the fry in the 5 gal (my new bt).

My problem is that the 5 gal tank is getting dirty and in need of attention. I have done a 25% water change 3 times in the past week. No result, still very dirty water. Is it safe to do more of a water change? Or possibly a full change? I'm afraid of stressing the fry!

Also, when is it safe to add the fry to the community tank? How old do they have to be to be considered "mature"?

[center:6b5b4200a3]:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, junebug1500!! :n00b: [/center:6b5b4200a3]
No result, still very dirty water. Is it safe to do more of a water change?
Not a full change!! What is in the tank (i.e. gravel)? Are you vacuuming with the water changes?

Also, when is it safe to add the fry to the community tank? How old do they have to be to be considered "mature"?
More than likely they need to be bigger than "bite sized" or they will be eaten. Guppies are prolific and you will soon be over run with them 8O. Come up with a plan for the fry, or you will need bigger and bigger tank to house them :wink:

Thank You Menagerie. I'm glad to have joined AA ... lol.

Yes, I am vaccuuming the gravel, of which I change about 25% of the water at a time. The tank has gravel, three fake plants, a decorative fake rock and filtered with an undergravel system. The temp is 74F and the light is on for about 10-12 hours a day. I haven't added any chemicals as I'm afraid of killing the fry. I don't believe I'm overfeeding either. What can I do?

Oh, and I plan to share my fry with friends and family and keep a few for myself. That's if they survive!

That's if they survive!
If not this time, next time and the time after that and the time after that :lol:

As for the water, I am at a loss. Hopefully someone else can chime in!
BTW--what color is the "dirt"? Has the tank cycled? If you are not sure, read the article on cycling found under the articles link. This may be part of the problem. Also, what are your ammonia and nitrite readings?

LOL, I've had guppies for many years, and never had they reproduced. Not that I have noticed anyway! lol

I basically have an algae problem. There's some waste as well, but as much as I vaccuum, i can't seem to get everything without taken out too much water. The water has a cloudy brown color to it. THe levels are fine though. Yes, the tank has cycled.

Algea problem on the walls, or in the water (free floating)? There was just a thread or two about free floating algea probs--look around and see if those threads help.

I have an algea problem on the walls. Last night, I managed to do yet another water change and add "algea destroyer". Something I was against at first. This morning, the tank has cleared up significantly. The fry are still alive and active. In fact, now that I can see them better, I realized that I have more of them - 17 to be exact. Would it be harmful to do partial water changes everyday until the water becomes clearer? :)

No, partial water changes should not hurt as long as temp is matched and the water is dechlorinated.

Back
Top Bottom